Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wheel valve stem

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Does anybody use a "sealant" around the stem at the inside of the rim as "insurance" ? If so what do you use? I am thinking of a light wipe of Fix a flat around the stem/rim junction. And why an I concerned..never worried before. Just forced it's way in my head , now curious. Hmmm.

Probably. The reason for the question popping in my head is that my stems are those cute shorties that bolt in. Torqued em down with blue locktite then the question oozed in. Just figure I might learn something.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you installed them properly.

Gotta watch out for fix-a-flat and similar products as some of them are really corrosive over time.

I'd use a finger wipe of clear silicone if you have any worries about potential sealing issues.
I’ve seen tires that were ran with fix a flat in them actually break down to a slimy, goo inside. I use “slime” in my Ag equipment that have slow leaks.... cause I’m too lazy to fix em right, lol. As for tire stems, the only reason I could think of for leakage would be rust or corosion around the hole or clear coat delaminating. As long as the rim is in good condition, there shouldn’t be any need for sealant, just lube the stem and pull it through.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back