Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Which engine would you pick and why?

My current build has a 350 but I think the 4.3 v6 would be cool in a bucket. Has anyone built a bucket with one? Had one in a Silverado and put 350,000 miles on it,
still ran great when I sold it.

My current build has a 350 but I think the 4.3 v6 would be cool in a bucket. Has anyone built a bucket with one? Had one in a Silverado and put 350,000 miles on it,
4.3 is basically a sbc with two cylinders chopped off. We built one years back and put it in a Toyota 4 wd pickup. It ran great, but cost more than I thought it was worth compared to a v8. The customer liked it and that's what mattered. You can get all forged internals from marine engines, fyi.
I thought about using an old allis chalmers engine in something to get a rise out of people. They had huge bore, long stroke, and made great torque. Very heavy though...

There are several around. Tom Buckley in N.C. has one that even has heat and air. It will smoke the tires !!

If I have to replace the lowly 60v6 I have, I'll likely be going for a Buick 3800 V6. The 3800 was on Ward's 10 best engines list for the 20th century. We've had 3 and love them. And if you want to go that route, with the right mods yhey make crazy power.

If I had a standard 700R4, instead of the metric version, I'd go with one of the 1980-84 Buick 4.1 LC4 V6s. They came from the factory with a 4bbl carb, and had enough guts to push around GM's biggest barges....Electras, 98s, De Villes, etc.

If I have to replace the lowly 60v6 I have, I'll likely be going for a Buick 3800 V6. The 3800 was on Ward's 10 best engines list for the 20th century. We've had 3 and love them. And if you want to go that route, with the right mods yhey make crazy power.

If I had a standard 700R4, instead of the metric version, I'd go with one of the 1980-84 Buick 4.1 LC4 V6s. They came from the factory with a 4bbl carb, and had enough guts to push around GM's biggest barges....Electras, 98s, De Villes, etc.
If you are set on a v6, look at marine engines. They used forged internals and q jet carbs. They were the hp versions.

If you are set on a v6, look at marine engines. They used forged internals and q jet carbs. They were the hp versions.

It's not so much being set on a V6, as it is what I have...and I like that it's uncommon. I'm building a cruiser, so I don't need much horsepower. If I can keep the weight under 1500lbs, the weight to HP ratio will be around the same as a new Camaro LS...with a whopping 135 HP.

My experience with marine engines is that marine=pricey. I got my 60v6 and 700R4 for less than scrap value

It's not so much being set on a V6, as it is what I have...and I like that it's uncommon. I'm building a cruiser, so I don't need much horsepower. If I can keep the weight under 1500lbs, the weight to HP ratio will be around the same as a new Camaro LS...with a whopping 135 HP.

My experience with marine engines is that marine=pricey. I got my 60v6 and 700R4 for less than scrap value
You are right about the pricey part, but if you dig, you can find deals and they do use good stuff in them. A lot of time you can find them with freez damage to the block due to improper winterization, depending on the region, and salvage the premium internals. As for the different thing, I get it. The 427, although is a bbc, is not often seen and if weren't in the t, I would have not bought it. I used to run pontiacs because not many did. I didn't want to have just another sbc... No offence to them, they are great engines and are popular for good reason. I have never been one to imitate anything or run with the pack, so to speak. I am not sure if that's good or bad, just me.

You are right about the pricey part, but if you dig, you can find deals and they do use good stuff in them. A lot of time you can find them with freez damage to the block due to improper winterization, depending on the region, and salvage the premium internals. As for the different thing, I get it. The 427, although is a bbc, is not often seen and if weren't in the t, I would have not bought it. I used to run pontiacs because not many did. I didn't want to have just another sbc... No offence to them, they are great engines and are popular for good reason. I have never been one to imitate anything or run with the pack, so to speak. I am not sure if that's good or bad, just me.

I spent 18 years living and working walking distance from marinas on lake Erie...and around a lot of boat enthusiasts. A common phrase went something like "You don't buy a used boat...you buy a used motor and they throw in the boat". I remember my brother in law boasting over the great deal he got on a HUGE old cabin cruiser..."it needs new motors, but that's no big deal". $20K later he had a a pair of USED marine SBCs...one of which lasted 1 season.

I'm not one to run with the pack either. If I were to run a V8, my preference would be an old Studebaker. If I were to start my project over with sufficient funds, and wanted to go more modern, I'd want a 4.7 liter stroker version of the Jeep 4.0 inline 6 o_O As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's safe if it makes the one building it happy it's good.

What I'd put in a bucket is a 1950's Dodge or DeSoto "baby" hemi (241 to 345 cid)-smaller and lighter than their Chrysler counterparts but every bit as cool. A friend of mine recently bought a '56 Dodge Suburban D-500 2-d00r wagon with a 315 Super Red Ram hemi. I told him that motor would look great in my T-he said if I dared to touch it he'd slam the hood on my fingers. Seriously, such motors can still be found and Hot Heads can supply all the needed parts.

I still like the sound of a v-8 with a good cam , when you pull into a car show people will hear a v-8 with the cam & turn then heads to see what it is, I also like the power you have [ makes it a true hot rod.] I went to a car show & 2 guys was standing around after the show , they said they wanted to hear my car run. Everbody to there own opinion , thats what makes the world go around.

I still like the sound of a v-8 with a good cam , when you pull into a car show people will hear a v-8 with the cam & turn then heads to see what it is, I also like the power you have [ makes it a true hot rod.] I went to a car show & 2 guys was standing around after the show , they said they wanted to hear my car run. Everbody to there own opinion , thats what makes the world go around.

I think if I were going for sound, it would be one of these two...

Last year around this time I had a line on a complete 750 that had the body vandalized for $2k...I was SOOOOOOO tempted. LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back