Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the T-Bucket Forums discussions? Then sign up for a free forum account, today!

Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Dismiss Notice
Thank you for visiting the T-Bucket Forums! This site was created in 2006, to provide enthusiasts with a place to discuss T-Buckets. Over the years, there have been many imitators, but this is the T-Bucket resource you have been looking to find. We encourage you to register a FREE account and join in on the discussions.

wind shield glass

Discussion in 'California Custom Roadsters' started by rubicon, Jul 26, 2016.

1. PotvinGuy

PotvinGuy
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Quantum Mechanic (semi-retired)
    Is it the 11" or 14" tall frame? I had glass in my 11" frame and then went to the 14" frame to keep the bugs outa my teeth, and used Lexan. There are suppliers on eBay who will cut it to your spec. Comes in clear or 5% smoke and has a non-scratch coating. It weights a fraction of glass and will take a .44 magnum round without damage (I made that up). But NASCAR uses it, so it must be tough.

2. fletcherson

fletcherson
    Expand Collapse

No sweat! Hope it helps!

3. fletcherson

fletcherson
    Expand Collapse

Lol, I'd be willing to attempt to dispel the 44 magnum theory, it would give me an excuse to dust off the Blackhawk! A engine block lost the challenge.

4. RPM

RPM
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Sponsor

Makes want get out my .44 and try it too.

5. rubicon

rubicon
    Expand Collapse

Getting off topic, as long as its about guns, I'm in. Guns and shooting are my first hobby.

RPM and fletcherson like this.
  6. Indycars

Indycars
    Expand Collapse

Seems like just some soapy water would work well and not harm the rubber in the long run.

7. rubicon

rubicon
    Expand Collapse

Quick question. Should I use just the liquid soap or soap and water mix?

8. Indycars

Indycars
    Expand Collapse

I would go with a concentrated mix of soap and water, you are not going to need much more than cup.

9. rubicon

rubicon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks

10. rubicon

rubicon
    Expand Collapse

Well I tried putting the glass in but ended up slicing the rubber tape up in the process. I thought I had plenty of soap on the rubber and frame but it was a very tight fit. I just ordered more rubber tape from CCR only its suppose to be thinner. Hope it solves my issue. If it does not has anyone tried caulking the glass in. I was thinking of putting couple of strip of rubber to center the glass then caulk the rest in. Any thoughts suggestions or comets? Maybe I should have broke the edge on the channel. That may have kept it from slicing. I will before I try the next one.

11. 409T

409T
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Retired
    I always have the glass company put it in with black rubber glazing compound. Let it dry overnight before taking it home (see post #8).

12. choppedtop

choppedtop
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    I use the urethane from the glass shop. First, put the glass in place, the mask off what you can see. Remove the glass, put urethane in channel, then install glass. Let cure, and your done. Oh ya, mask off the exposed frame also. Urethane is not pleasant to remove. Trim excess urethane with sharp knife or razor blade before removing masking.

13. rubicon

rubicon
    Expand Collapse

Did you put anything in the bottom of the channel to keep the glass from touching the frame and how did you center the glass in the channel? When you started pushing the glass in, didn't it push the urethane down the channel towards the top of the frame? I know I'm asking lot of questions about this but, I'm trying to limit the amount of mistakes I could be making. The help you guys give is greatly appreciated.

14. fletcherson

fletcherson
    Expand Collapse

It sounds to me like the rubber tape you have is too thick. Also, lay it in the sun to make it plyable if it's rigid and use soapy water on the rubber as well as the frame. If you have an aluminum frame, the edges are likely razor sharp. It may be advantageous for you to de bur the edges before attempting it again. You can also smooth the edges of the glass with emery cloth if it's sharp. I do that if there are ragged edges because those are the areas that tend to initiate cracks, from by experience. It may be advisable to put tape on the glass to prevent any chance of scratching it and be sure to wear welding gloves or similar if you try that to prevent getting blood on your new glass, lol. If you decide to try eurothane, it comes in a standard caulking tube. You can get the eurothane at auto paint stores and quality auto parts stores. The 3m seems to work well, it works awesome to repair work boots too! Be sure to have some eurothane reducer on hand to clean up, it's resistant to most solvents. Also, make sure that you have everything as you want it, it's very difficult to remove once cured. From what I understand, thanks to the insurance industry, eurothane is the only legal adhesive to install glass, particularly windshields, in autos. Butyl is no longer acceptable. I'm not sure if it's available anymore or not. Eurothane is easy to use and definitely stronger, it's just harder to remove. If you decide to do it yourself, make sure that the glass is isolated from the frame so there is eurothane between it and the frame to prevent glass failure. I have used small pieces of vacuum line or any rubber material to assure that the glass is centered, also tooth picks and popsicle sticks are handy. Dry fit it first. When I put windshields in by myself, I measure the glass and the opening, then cut spacers to ensure that the glass is centered and test fit before applying the adhesive. That's about all of the "wisdom" lol, that I have to offer. Hope your second attempt goes better!

15. 2old2fast

2old2fast
    Expand Collapse

sorta retired
    Being a little slow to notice , I just put your numbers in the calculator , the slot in your frame is only approx. 1/16" wider than the glass :eek:.. That's gonna be ruff to do even w/a liquid adhesive , let alone rubber ...1/32" per side ...wow!!
    dave

Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us!

SSL Certificate