Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield reflections

hotrodman

Anyone else getting blinded by reflections in your windshield? I've got the tall roundtop with grey tint in the glass and at dusk and even during the day I'm getting some dangerous reflections. The worst is at night when someone behind has their high beams on.I figure I gotta live it!(?).

There may be some tints that have anti glare characteristics. I know there are some high tech ones out there. Some have very little shading qualities, but provide other features, uv, glare, heat, shatter protection, etc.
My glasses have anti glare on them and are not tinted. I like to wear some kind of eye protection while riding in the T. We have bugs and gravel here in the South.

good luck,

Anyone else getting blinded by reflections in your windshield? I've got the tall roundtop with grey tint in the glass and at dusk and even during the day I'm getting some dangerous reflections. The worst is at night when someone behind has their high beams on.I figure I gotta live it!(?).

I have read a thread on this subject in one of the other Hot Rod forums I belong to, but I'm sorry I cannot recall what the fix was if any..... The thread in question was written by a driver of an old ford coupe... You might try searching the threads on the NTBA site and also Old Skool Rodz..... Seems like the thread was atleast two years ago....
If I recall the answer was to tilt out the windshield slightly, If you can do that with your windshield, you might try it. Or maybe try some of the 3-m window film used on south facing windows of houses....I know this is a problem, so good luck, I hope you find a cure..... "BH"

I have read a thread on this subject in one of the other Hot Rod forums I belong to, but I'm sorry I cannot recall what the fix was if any..... The thread in question was written by a driver of an old ford coupe... You might try searching the threads on the NTBA site and also Old Skool Rodz..... Seems like the thread was atleast two years ago....
If I recall the answer was to tilt out the windshield slightly, If you can do that with your windshield, you might try it. Or maybe try some of the 3-m window film used on south facing windows of houses....I know this is a problem, so good luck, I hope you find a cure..... "BH"
I just Googled "Windshiled Glare" , and there are all kinds of threads and self stick films to try on your windows, you might want to look there too.... "BH"

IIRC, this was brought up about ten years ago by Bruce Pett and then again a couple of years ago by LumenAl.

I have not had a particular issue with this occurrence because my windshield is only about six inches tall and I look over the top of it.

Don't remember too much about people recommending applying any film to the glass but I do recall Toolman and a few others saying that if you tilt the windshield back a few degrees it will rectify the situation, and Toolman added that you'll also have the added bonus that the windshield is less prone to exploding in your face due to pressure when driving 100mph down a little Texas road out in the middle of nowhere.

Don't recall what LumenAl did to fix his but he did say it was a HUGE problem and I tend to agree. Not being able to see where you're going is dangerous and you certainly should avoid that situation if at all possible.

Haven't seen Al in forever (and we sure do miss him) but maybe he'll see this and chime in for us.

Here's what I plan to use to be able to tilt the windshield to change a glare angle. It'll even lay the windshield down over the cowl for 10 mph cruises or tilt it back for those high speed jaunts approaching 75 mph.

It's a worm gear set up to be driven by a window motor through a small timing belt. The lower windshield frame will go through the center of the bronze gear. It will require the glass by notched to straddle the worm driven gear or a two piece windshield with a vertical divider. Though, I haven't decided if the unit will be in the center, the left or right or even hanging outside the body for a bizarre asymetrical design imbalance........ kind'a like me.

I can envision a design whereby more traditional style T Bucket windshields could be tilted and such design could be fitted to existing cars. That'll be on my list of things to work on when I'm sitting on the beach at Poipu in May.

Attachments

• 001-2.JPG
    001-2.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 27
You could use the variable valve timing set up off the front of the new OHV engines that use oil pressure to advance and retard the cam. You could operate yours by the computer, just like the hi tech stuff, program it to lay the windshield back at a preset speed.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back