Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Winter Rebuild

FastEddie

So ive decided this winter im going to fix items on my bucket that ive been putting off. I havent had it out that much but now that the garage is cleaned up and other projects sold off, its time to do some planning.

The first thing planned is rewiring the whole car. I wired it back in 2006 with a painless kit but was done quickly to get the car in the road. Plus when i finally got it painted, i accidently painted over some wires, so tracing problems has become difficult. I want to redo this and run things alot cleaner. Im also going to relocate the alternator to a lower configuration to get it more hidden.

Other things include getting the ford 8" fixed as its leaking from the yolk. I also was to re-run my transmission cooler lines and fuel lines with hard lines to clean things up.

There are other things i want to change but depend on if i have the funds available. Id like to rework the front end for an I-beam axle. Id also like to change out the gas tank and change the style a little bit. Lake pipes? Hood?

Might even look at a bit of a speedster look since the body will be off and ive got a lot of scrap wood.

This is the current look of the bucket. The latest addition was the chopped 32 grill. Usually driven all year long. Drove 60 miles in February to autorama detroit last year and have done it 4 years.

Going to try to take alot of pictures. Probably going to start tearing into it this weekend.

Attachments

• 420783_10150570412627091_245918569_n.jpg
    420783_10150570412627091_245918569_n.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 2677_1060617169513_2149185_n.jpg
    2677_1060617169513_2149185_n.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 30262_1384652470745_1566635_n.jpg
    30262_1384652470745_1566635_n.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 153
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 147
Good luck. I did a complete redo last winter, did not mean for it to be a complete redo but one thing just lead to another and before you knew it was a complete redo. But now it is the way I want it not what someone else wanted

So ive decided this winter im going to fix items on my bucket that ive been putting off. I havent had it out that much but now that the garage is cleaned up and other projects sold off, its time to do some planning.

The first thing planned is rewiring the whole car. I wired it back in 2006 with a painless kit but was done quickly to get the car in the road. Plus when i finally got it painted, i accidently painted over some wires, so tracing problems has become difficult. I want to redo this and run things alot cleaner. Im also going to relocate the alternator to a lower configuration to get it more hidden.

Other things include getting the ford 8" fixed as its leaking from the yolk. I also was to re-run my transmission cooler lines and fuel lines with hard lines to clean things up.

There are other things i want to change but depend on if i have the funds available. Id like to rework the front end for an I-beam axle. Id also like to change out the gas tank and change the style a little bit. Lake pipes? Hood?

Might even look at a bit of a speedster look since the body will be off and ive got a lot of scrap wood.

This is the current look of the bucket. The latest addition was the chopped 32 grill. Usually driven all year long. Drove 60 miles in February to autorama detroit last year and have done it 4 years.

Going to try to take alot of pictures. Probably going to start tearing into it this weekend.

What are those tail lights from?

Mark

The tail lights are 53 packard mayfair. I switched out the bulbs so they are brighter and have another set to fix the broken one. They fit on the car pretty well.

The tail lights are 53 packard mayfair. I switched out the bulbs so they are brighter and have another set to fix the broken one. They fit on the car pretty well.

They sure do fit nicely!

Mark

So i starting tearing things apart today. Spent some time disconnecting wires and cutting some that were just routed to poorly to remove the body. Lifted the body off and set it on a dolly i made so i can move it out of the way and work on it if needed.
So then i starting mocking some things up for a possible speedster look. I had picked up a model T firewall and cowl for cheap online so i got that clamped in place. Also made a plywood form of a Kirkey racing seat from dimensions online.
Plan would be to get an odessey battery and place that in the stock coil box so get it out from under the body to make it easier to run other lines.
Then i mocked up the steering wheel and starting playing around with a hood. Chipboard from the art store works great and is easy to cut.
I might do some more on it tomarrow including taking off the exhaust and trying hood sides. Also might do more of the floor. There would be more purchases involved if this is the route i decide to go. Would like to get some real Kirkey seats, hugger headers to run exhaust under. Move alternator to low driver side. And get an oval model t gas tank.
If none of this works out, the only cost has been the cowl since i have tons of scrap wood for mock up.
Still to do in the long run is change out all of the rubber lines for fuel and trans cooler and rewire.

Attachments

• DSC02963.JPG
    DSC02963.JPG
    889.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02967.JPG
    DSC02967.JPG
    886.2 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02974.JPG
    DSC02974.JPG
    907.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02985.JPG
    DSC02985.JPG
    836.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02987.JPG
    DSC02987.JPG
    802.9 KB · Views: 111
Did a little more on it on sunday. Took off the exhaust and made a hood side out of more chipboard. Picked up some 1-1/2"x1/2" steel tubing im going to use to make a subframe to remount the transmission cooler in a better location.

Attachments

• DSC02989.JPG
    DSC02989.JPG
    818.1 KB · Views: 79
Worked on the floor some. Need to make a cover for the transmission. Might just do the simple ramp like many speedsters and then a little extension of it for the shifter.
I want to work on getting the brake pedal moved back to give myself some more knee room. I think alot is going to come down to the seats. I really like the look of Kirkey Vintage buckets. The picture below is what has inspired me.

Attachments

• DSC02992.JPG
    DSC02992.JPG
    886 KB · Views: 72
  • 202649.jpg
    202649.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 69
With a narrowed T body (essentially a single seat, centered seat) it would become a four wheel motorcycle. Sprint carish. Little, round wind screen. Lake pipes extending out back. Wire wheels with dirt track tires. Maybe like a 30s indy car. Or close. Didn't they have modified roadsters in the 40s & 50s that ran circle track? Might want to check the HAMB for ideas.
Oh, and an aluminum belly pan, leave it natural. Would nerf bars be too much? At least a push bar on the back. An' one of those chrome front nerf bars.

Got a little done this weekend. Drained the gas tank and removed the fuel lines. Also drained the transmission and removed the cooler and cooler lines. Decided to make a mock up of a model t gas tank as well. Now just need to order some parts so i can make my sub-frame and begin locating the new cooler, battery and fuse box.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back