Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wisconsin Title

rubicon

Anyone form Wisconsin that has gone through the process of getting a title for their build? I hit my first road block. DMV wants the VIN tag to be mounted on the driver side door post. My bucket does not have a door on the driver side. This may kill the dream I've had for years. So, any help I can get would be appreciated. Thanks

Wonder what they would say if you told them that 1923 didn't have a VIN.
Nor did they have a driver side. Ask them what they'd do if a STOCK '23T showed up to get registered.

Jim

Reactions: RPM
My car was purchased out of WI a few years ago. It had been registered in WI for a few years prior. It has the Original Florida VIN tag on the drivers side frame rail.

I was hoping some one who has build a T in Wisconsin that went through the process could tell me what they did. If I go to the State Patrol, they look at the car and come up with all kinds of ways for it not to be legal on the road.

How did you try to register it? I bought my in MN......attempted to register it as under WI "Hobbiest" plates all they wanted was a pic from each side and I did register it as a 1923 T model ford. Surprisingly no issues. I did however have a VIN/ frame number from whoever made the frame. It, however is not on the drivers side door frame. Rather on the right rear frame riser, but was never questioned. Curious to how you are trying to register???

Sounds like you did a title transfer. I had no VIN number or title. There were several forms I had to fill out which got me a VIN number. Now the last form is to have an officer, someone from the DMV or a license dealer check to make sure the VIN tag is mounted in the right location. On that form its states that the VIN tag be mounted on the driver side door post. No door, no "B" post. The salvage Trooper that came over was more concerned about the rest of the car and didn't sign off on the tag.

By license dealer, do you mean like a tag office? I took one car by one, and let them show me where they wanted the number plate to be placed. I had no doors also. They told me to place it on the firewall. I suppose they all could give different locations, but that worked ok, and I received my title and tag.

All our VIN tags come from the DMV. Depending on what kind of vehicle you are trying to register, will determine if you need to have an inspection. One sight said to avoid the inspection at all cost. They are always looking to make your car go through hoops they dream up. I think street rods bother these guys.

Today I had an officer sign off on the tag location. Tomorrow I'll mail in the paperwork and wait for the title and plates. My torment is almost over.

The DMV wanted it on the driver side door post. Not having a door on that side, I do not have a "B" post but just below the windshield where the "A" post would be was a good spot. So I put it there. The MV2048 form is just to have an officer make sure I put the VIN tag on the car. One of Racine's finest took care of it for me. I told him I would give him a ride this summer. Smiles all around.

That's great, over one more hurdle! So they're happy with it in the modern "stock" location in the corner of the dash?

20170107_103029_zpsahctfxy7.jpg~c100
This is where I mounted the tag. I spent more time on photo bucket than I did building my car. I don't think Photo bucket likes me. Either that or I'm technically challenged when it comes to computers.

Today I received my Title in the mail. Hoping the plates will be here soon . Might get a warm day and I want to be ready. Working on the heat shields will post pictures later.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back