Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wood in place

OK, call me dense but, how do you attach the upholstery to that foam. can you still see the wood stiffeners? also, Bondo does not have any structural strength, so don't expect it to hold up under any real abuse. the liquid nails would have more. i have always just held them in place with Bondo then fiber glassed all around and on top of them. i have always made templates out of poster board and then transferred that to 1/8th door skin plywood and soaked it in water, then formed it to the inside and screwed it to the wood stiffeners. this gives you the full strength of the body surround and to attach the material to. maybe i have been living in this cave to long but, i don't really understand the need for the foam. does it really add that much strength. I'll bet the sheet of plywood would be more. can someone educate me?

The foam is just of backup for the fiberglass that went over the top of the wood. There is no other reason for the foam. The interior will attach to the the wood around the outside and not to the foam.

VroomKrazy

flatheadgary said:
... i don't really understand the need for the foam...

the foam is just to support the fiberglass as you can see in this shot... (this is before I discovered the oasis foam that works way better than the stuff I used)

Tbucletteardown076.jpg

then after three layers of glass was applied, this is what is turned out like after primer..

Tbucletteardown101.jpg

Then I used ABS so make the panels...

Tbucletteardown108.jpg

and completed...

Picture007.jpg

Having the walls be "double walled" if you will... makes them very sturdy... no body flex at all...

Ok..Thank you that was what I thought so I used Liquid Nail. I the mixed up some resin and coated it all. Now I'll let it set and glass tomorrow. I was told that just the resin would be good enough but I wasn't sure.

Youngn said:
I had a question for you guys. Is it necessary to put all of the wood support in or can you just leave it alone with the fiberglass?
I only glass in the floor and not solid even there, as I want water to have a way out, I ad no other wood to the body, as I want all the room I can get, and besides the body is only holding paint, no big thing..hehe just push on any new car door, not very solid is it?? I have had this same body on my T since 1979 still needs no wood.. Just me and my T :lol: Contact cement works GREAT for holding uph to the sides, THIN uph. :) Like with body inserts, they look GREAT but you lose probably 8 inches in inside width :( Happy cruzin whatever you decide...

I hated the fact that the sides of the body flexed... in my mind made if feel like a cheap plastic body... I can grab the sides of mine now and literally rock the car with no visible flex from the body.

You could just foam the whole thing and glass it, would be strong but not as strong and you'd have no wood behind the glass to screw or attach stuff to...

i guess i'm on the other side of the barn from ted, i use wood extensively in my bodies. like Al i don't want to see my hard work abused by un-knowing folks climbing in and out of my car. that's not to say it's a must do thing. just my preference.

Ron

I finished the foam and resin and today I laid glass on the entire inside and it made the car way heavier now. Of course it has nothing to do with it being a Touring T.

I have had soooooo many people climb in and out of my t it would scare you, somehow it has lasted all these years, aand yes it flexes when I push on the side, but not as much as my Wifes new car, and I can push down on the side of my body and bounce my whole car,front and back, no problems at all living without all that wood, just no real need, as I see it, like I say, the miles tell the truth... :) Everyone to their own way of spending their money, I will stay to things I really need, or want... Thanks:)

Just picked up my body from Kenny's yesterday. The body itself has no flex, it is very stiff and thick. Still the same, using the wood strips and the oasis foam will give support to interior panels. I plan on using abs panels and they are going to need some type of mounting surface for them to mount to. It seems that the foam and wood would give support to the interior panels, at the least. Great write up, gives me the heads up on interior panel form.:lol:

My body is a spirit 27 no doors I am going to wood the floor toe board and firewall because my master cylinder will mount on the firewall, and all of my family are big people so the floor may need a little help. I may foam the sides to do away with sharp edges

Thanks for the thread and pics. You've answered a lot of the questions I had and given me some new ideas. I like the idea of the foam. I was thinking of using the expanding foam you see in houses but the floral foam will be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Doug

Thanks for the thread and pics. You've answered a lot of the questions I had and given me some new ideas. I like the idea of the foam. I was thinking of using the expanding foam you see in houses but the floral foam will be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Doug

Trust me from exeprience...the expanding foam will disolve when the resin hits it. the floral foam blocks worked great.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back