Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

24 T halogen h/lights

Fourdy

I am wanting to use halogen lights in my stock 24 buckets. Has anyone done it and give me some clues. I find a halogen bulb that fits into the stock light socket but it appears that there is no hi/lo separation as far as brightness. Several places have the halogen bulb adapter and it looks like it would work by bending the tabs down, using wire terminals instead of the supplied socket.

I may be able to use the large halogen lamp but have heard that the flutes of the light and the flutes of the T glass lenses will screw everything up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fourdy

I am wanting to use halogen lights in my stock 24 buckets. Has anyone done it and give me some clues. I find a halogen bulb that fits into the stock light socket but it appears that there is no hi/lo separation as far as brightness. Several places have the halogen bulb adapter and it looks like it would work by bending the tabs down, using wire terminals instead of the supplied socket.

I may be able to use the large halogen lamp but have heard that the flutes of the light and the flutes of the T glass lenses will screw everything up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fourdy
don't you have to have larger wire also?

About 40 years ago I put sealed beams in my T headlight cans, I got the headlight cans out of a 50's car, trimmed them down to fit and aligned the bulb grid patern , marked the car cans and gas weld, tacked them in place. I have been looking to do another car with original T cans and fluted lenses. and would like to use H4 or similar bulbs and reflectors GMC paul sells euro kits but I don't know if they will fit []
I looked at Juliano;s and didn't find anything satisfactory. It is a little tougher to find lights because the headlight bucket is shallower than other types.

Thanks

Fourdy

http://community.web...com/user/fourdy
[/quote]

Dick Spadero Reproductions sells the kit plus I've seen them on fleebay for about $96.00 buy it now. Dick also has trim rings and lenses.

One thing you want to make sure you don't do, is touch your bulb with bare fingers. That small trace of body oil and moisture is all that is needed to cause the bulb to fail the first time it is brought up to temperature. Use cotton gloves or non-oiled, non scented tissue.

Bob

When switching to halogen lights, wire size might be an issue. The light sockets and headlight switch might be an issue too. The typical halogen bulb uses 65 watts of energy. At 12 volts that is about 5-1/2 amps. 16 gauge wire will handle that easily since it is rate at about 20 amps. There is some voltage loss in the wire but for the short runs in a Bucket it is not an issue. The sockets designed for standard bulbs might not be suitable for halogen bulbs even if they are plug compatable. Halogen bulbs generate much higher heat than standard bulbs and can melt the plastic of a socket that is not designed for halogen bulbs. Halogen bulbs place a higher current load on the headlight switch if there are no relays in the circuit. So you have to verify that your headlight switch is rated for at least 15 amps; 11 fo the headlights and a few for the tailights. Also remember to run a seperate set of wires from the switch to each headlight. Do not daisy-chain a headlight circuit.

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but only just found it. I've been researching the same thing for my 26 Coupe with original headlamps & found that Headwinds do a conversion kit to enable you to fit modern buckets in the shells. It means you won't have the stock look of the vertical fluted lenses, but you will have headlamps that will work!! I currently have H4 bulbs in mine but you wouldn't know it because of the aforementioned lenses (no distinction between dip & main). I did consider fitting later A lenses & bought some but they will need modification in order to fit the shells, so need to find a glass grinder who'll be prepared to have a go!

I found a kit from Speedway thats seems to fit with a little persuasion. Not sure its for Halogens though. Normal bulbs will do for me, even with the old fluted lenses. I did fill in the hole in the rear of the bowl so space is tight
Gerry

There shouldn't be any problem with the T lenses. Most often the problem with aiming the T lights comes from the reflectors. They should be silvered or silver plated. Most aftermarket reflectors are chrome plated and that reflects too much light.You can find someone to re-silver your reflectors at a furnature restoration shop.

Ron

There shouldn't be any problem with the T lenses. Most often the problem with aiming the T lights comes from the reflectors. They should be silvered or silver plated. Most aftermarket reflectors are chrome plated and that reflects too much light.You can find someone to re-silver your reflectors at a furnature restoration shop.

Ron

Thats a great bit of info. We have someone who re-silvers in the NSRA over here.
Thanks
gerry

I also ran the early 26-27 style flat lens headlights using bulbs in my first T... Not as bright as I would have liked, but they worked and looked great for me at that time, young and vain, loved the looks of an early style T, still do, and if I were not going to drive on the back roads at night, I just might go back to that style light... And any way to still get that look and a bit more light, I am all for it :) I am old enough now to not have to drive that fast anymore. Gerry's front view on his Fad T, is just super as far as I think... :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back