Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

305 Chevy

Well my 1.5 cents worth (A NZ dollar only buys US$0.75) is that a full roller setup, while costly is the only way to go. I wont go back to a flat tappet cam again.

I had a hydraulic flat tappet in my blown 454 and when I upsized to the blown 540, I upgraded to a full solid roller cam (with a 4-7 swap) and altho the new cam is bigger, its way smoother than the old Comp Cams one in the old motor.

The extra 90 odd cubes and the new cam were probably worth another 200 (real) hp over the old engine. The new engine is a beast, but it sort of feels like a tame one till I mash the throttle. Apart from a noticeable lack of fuel economy, I think it may well be the perfect engine for a street bucket.

I dont think Im qualified to answer the question on whether a 305 is enough engine for a bucket.

But this I do know, regardless of the size of your buckets engine, get the car out cruising at every opportunity you get. We arent getting any younger, and fuel isnt getting any cheaper. I find driving my bucket is good for my mental health - my wife says Im not so grumpy when Ive been out in the bucket

I am setting up a special oil pressure switch that will not let the engine start until it has oil pressure, kinda like the old days with the supercharged engines, crank the starter till it has oil pressure then hit the mag... This will also be my way of changing the oil, just like we do for ski boats, open a valve in a pressure oil hose into a container, run the engine till it stops, as soon as the oil pressure drops off, the key/spark is turned off automatically... Hurt your oil pan, save your engine before it has any time to hurt anything...

Yea, I'd like that setup. I really don't know why the car makers didn't have that type setup on their performance models, since 90% of your engine wear is done during initial startup. Thats one of the reasons why I love cars with the ignition switch and a seperate starter button. Turn it till you get some oil pressure.

On my setup, I have a small line running into a converted NOS bottle. The oil fed into it has a 1 way valve that plumbed into the line. The other end is fitted with a electric pump with a line that goes back to the motors oil return. When I kill the motor, the oil stays in the tank cause its mounted vertical, the 1 way valve keeps it from running back. When I go to start the motor, I hit the prime switch, and she pumps oil to the mains and rods. When I hear the pump speed up, I know I've already pumped 3 qts under pressure to the motors vitals, I start it. This past weekend, I wired in a lighting relay switch thats tied into the oil pressure switch. When theres 0 pressure and the ign. switch is on....it primes the motor, automatically.

Ted....YOU DA MAN!!!! Sorry....don't mean to hijack the thread....Water to the front of the heads is good....!!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back