Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

52 chrysler hemi

17dodgebros

anyone use a 52 chrysler hemi in a t bucket? just starting to lay mine out and was wondering about any stumbling blocks

A while ago I bought a 392 from somewhere east of here and the freight company that delivered it to me said it weighed 742 lbs. I suppose it's possible that someone had their thumb on the scale to increase the freight cost, but it still will weigh a lot more than your typical SBC or BBC. I'm going to guess that you have a 331, but it should be about the same weight, so plan accordingly. I believe most off-the-shelf front spring set-ups are expecting 350 - 450 lb engines.

Jeff

The early (51-53?) Hemi had an extended bellhousing that you have to get surgically removed. From memory, its about 8 inches long (havent had a 331 since the late 80s) and it fits the original trans and just about nothing else.

To fit up a 727 or a chevy box, the bellhousing has to be shortened and an adapter fitted.

To me, the early Hemi is just about the perfect engine for any bucket. :D So I say go for it!

TCI and Cambell Enterprises has adapters to fit the 354 and 392 motors to the powerglide/th350 and th400 trans.............hope this helps...........:cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back