Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

9" Ford rearend

jeffery

Anyone out there have an idea about cutting a rearend apart and shorting one side to center the pinion to the frame?Also if there are any axle dimensions/lenghts?
Thanks,Vince

I have not done this, but thought about it alot. Find a second short axle, like the one you have, one long and one short, right.
Measure the short side of the axle housing from a central point and using that measurement determine how much you will need to take out of the long side of the housing. I would take out that amount where the housing would match back up and near the flange end.
Find a pipe to make a sleeve that will fit inside of the housing where the cut has been made, bevel the cut ends, fit the sleeve, and slide it together. I would remeasure the lengths, check for flange rotation, attach staight edges to both flanges to maintain paralell (sp) and tack it. Check everything and tack again. For max strength, you could drill the axle housing in the area of the sleeve and rosette weld it. I think you could do this without a jig, but if you have the material, you could jig the flanges and gear openings to maintain alignment while welding. You should be able to grind all the welds to where they would not be visible.

What do you think?

I have not done this, but thought about it alot. Find a second short axle, like the one you have, one long and one short, right.
Measure the short side of the axle housing from a central point and using that measurement determine how much you will need to take out of the long side of the housing. I would take out that amount where the housing would match back up and near the flange end.
Find a pipe to make a sleeve that will fit inside of the housing where the cut has been made, bevel the cut ends, fit the sleeve, and slide it together. I would remeasure the lengths, check for flange rotation, attach staight edges to both flanges to maintain paralell (sp) and tack it. Check everything and tack again. For max strength, you could drill the axle housing in the area of the sleeve and rosette weld it. I think you could do this without a jig, but if you have the material, you could jig the flanges and gear openings to maintain alignment while welding. You should be able to grind all the welds to where they would not be visible.

What do you think?
Good tips Railroad one more helpfull hint is to take a piece of angle iron oh say 2x2 or what ever and lay it on the tube it self and scribe a line.This will be the line you line up to reweld the thing together.This way you are assured of the flanges being positioned corectly.

Good tips Railroad one more helpfull hint is to take a piece of angle iron oh say 2x2 or what ever and lay it on the tube it self and scribe a line.This will be the line you line up to reweld the thing together.This way you are assured of the flanges being positioned corectly.

Thanks guys,
Well heres what i have done so far.I set the rear end up on jack stands and found the center of the housing.after that i center punched the straight line i had marked.then took a grinder and ground around the weld joint on the side i needed shorter.then i took a long piece of 2" schedule 40 pvc pipe to knock out the old long axle housing.before cutting the housing shaft off to make it short for the length i needed,i had taken measurements to make it 56" when reassembled.
The hardest thing i foud out about having to do this was the reinstallation of the cut off housing to the center half.I had to heat it after smoothing and beveling the cut side of the shaft i was installing back into the center section.The center punched marks all lined up as i thought,and now its 56" exactly and the pinion yoke is lined up right in the center of the frame and not to the side as it would have been before.
Now all i got left to do is weld it and locate and axle to fit.think i will locate axle first before i weld anything.yep good thought(patting meself on back)
Thanks to you guys for your help and this site for being here too!!

Does anyone out there have a site to go to get lengths of ford axles?I know there has to be something out there somewhere.
Thanks

Does anyone out there have a site to go to get lengths of ford axles?I know there has to be something out there somewhere.
Thanks
I would try Currie ... all of my dealings with them have been very good.

Thanks
If I understand you correctly BOTH side tubes are now exactly the same length correct?If so you should be able to simple get yourself a second short side axle and be good to go.You shouldn't need any special axle just a second passenger side stock axle.
For anyone wanting info on shortening rears go to the HAMB join and do a search they have the best TECH ARCHIVE you'll find anywhere and be DAMN SURE to do an intro!Their great guys there but can be bitchy about some stuff like intros

If I understand you correctly BOTH side tubes are now exactly the same length correct?If so you should be able to simple get yourself a second short side axle and be good to go.You shouldn't need any special axle just a second passenger side stock axle.
For anyone wanting info on shortening rears go to the HAMB join and do a search they have the best TECH ARCHIVE you'll find anywhere and be DAMN SURE to do an intro!Their great guys there but can be bitchy about some stuff like intros

The HAMB, tell them you are building a 32 coupe and want some suggestions on how to make it rust, as this will be a rat rod.

....or ask about a Jag IRS then duck ......

Ron

....or ask about a Jag IRS then duck ......

Ron
Yes you have to play their game but they still have the best tech section out of any of the sites I visit concerning Automotive groups.Also the most attitude of any group I visit.I've PMed several guys there about coming here as well.This is the best place for T stuff without a doubt but some stuff like Ford 9 inch modification just crosses over.My 2.3 powered T doesn't fit their ideals there either!Thats the nicest part about everyone here I haven't seen anyone ride anybody over their choices of power or anything like that.

Leon,

I'm also running a 2.3, how about posting some pics of your T?

:fidget:

Bruce

Hey i would really love to see some pictures of you 2.3.There was a guy at a car show i went to that had one (with turbo in it)nice little setup and compact as all get out too! :laugh:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back