Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A bit more progress

choppinczech

Well, I'm finally getting a rear end in this thing, and started closing up the rear of the frame. I made the 4 bars and brackets quite some time ago and the wishbone this weekend. Just waiting for some coil overs and I'll get a crossmember across the back.
2-21-15 4.JPG2-22-15.JPG 2-22-15 3.JPG2-22-15 4.JPG

Thanks guys.

I used this on line coping calculator to cope the tubing on my wishbone.
http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

It's really slick. You just punch in your numbers, print it out, cut it out, and wrap the template around the tubing.

Thanks guys.

I used this on line coping calculator to cope the tubing on my wishbone.
http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

It's really slick. You just punch in your numbers, print it out, cut it out, and wrap the template around the tubing.

Yes...that is a great tool. I seem to remember it was developed by a bicycle builder some years ago. I used it to miter a 4" OD tube into a 6" tube at an angle.Really was a great help. Everyone should save that link as it will save you a ton of work. Thanks for reminding me!

George

WOW! Interesting set up. I don't think I've ever seen a three link done like that before. All the ones I've seen have the "Y" link on top of the axle, not under. Of course those were all in the the rock crawling world. Do you have any concerns with that lower link getting hung up on speed bumps, or curbs, anything like that? Hard to tell from the pics but it looks kind low to the ground.

I'll be following this for sure, I really want to see how this turns out. I've been toying with the idea of doing a triangulated 4 link on the rear of mine.

WOW! Interesting set up. I don't think I've ever seen a three link done like that before. All the ones I've seen have the "Y" link on top of the axle, not under. Of course those were all in the the rock crawling world. Do you have any concerns with that lower link getting hung up on speed bumps, or curbs, anything like that? Hard to tell from the pics but it looks kind low to the ground.

I'll be following this for sure, I really want to see how this turns out. I've been toying with the idea of doing a triangulated 4 link on the rear of mine.

I may be wrong (and according to my wife I exist therefore I am), but I believe that is a parallel 4-link set up with a wishbone locator.

There is a suspension configuration that uses the triangulation link on the bottom...a satchell link suspension. When set up right, with a driver that knows how to take advantage, the satchell link can be a great configuration...but they are hard to set up right, and can be "twitchy" when applying power. Before I decided to take the path of least resistance, and use a conventional triangulated 4-link set up that came on my rear end, I was planning on using a satchell link set up to take advantage of the lower profile, and low center of gravity.

That makes sense. Everything I know about link suspensions is from the rock crawling world. So this set up was new to me.

Do you have any concerns with that lower link getting hung up on speed bumps, or curbs, anything like that? Hard to tell from the pics but it looks kind low to the ground.

The front mount is quite a bit higher than my frame rails.

I may be wrong (and according to my wife I exist therefore I am), but I believe that is a parallel 4-link set up with a wishbone locator.

There is a suspension configuration that uses the triangulation link on the bottom...a satchell link suspension.

Yes, they're used a lot in drag racing.

triangulated cross bar.jpg
Same concept. A solid truss for lateral control.

I just went back and looked at your pics again. I didn't notice the lower links before, all I saw was the "Y" shaped lower link. Set up makes much more sense now.

I just went back and looked at your pics again. I didn't notice the lower links before, all I saw was the "Y" shaped lower link. Set up makes much more sense now.

Yes, I had to take a second look at a couple of the pics to be semi-sure. I was ready to kick myself for missing a Satchell set-up, because it is kind of a pet design for me.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back