Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A possible new add-on

Mike

We have been in discussion about the effectiveness of using the Members' Pages as a method of updating project builds, changes, etc. While it will offer a way to get that information across, we believe we have found a more user-friendly solution. And it is user-friendly for both the author and the visitor alike.

It is an add-on to the forum, so it uses the forum's style and the forum's text entry procedures. I hesitate to mention the add-on's name, because if you are like me, the name will be a turn-off. It is called vBlogetin (yes, yes, I know, the idea of a blogging isn't attractive to you), and it seems it would actually work incredibly well as a build log or journal.

I just set up a blog page HERE. Take a few moments to click on that link and see how much more robust this system would be, compared to our current Members' Pages.

There are several modules that can be added to each blog (I'm only using five - Favorite Links, Categories, Search, Calendar and About Me) and they can be arranged however you want them arranged. If you want the Calendar to appear at the top of the left-side column, it takes two, simple menu selections to have it that way.

The only downside I can presently see is that vBlogetin is not (yet) integrated with our vBPicGallery. I've talked about this possibility with one of the vBlogetin designers and he is receptive to making this happen, if there is enough demand for it. Images can still be inserted into blog entries, just as they are into posts here on the forum, so it is not like you couldn't have pictures in your entries.

There are optional blocks that will allow the display of YouTube and Google videos on each member's blog page, as well.

vBlogetin is yet another paid add-on, but we think that its flexibility would make it a popular addition to the forum, even at the asking price. This add-on would have the biggest effect on tfeverfred, who has taken the time to set up a Member's Page, but we still think the blog/journal option is a better option. A blog/journal can log all the various steps of any project that a member may be tackling, whether it is assembling a chassis or rebuilding a carburetor.

The blog pages would be hosted (at no expense, of course) here at the forum site, but each blog has a unique URL, so they could be shared across the Web.

What are your thoughts?

I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm not sure when, kinda busy today, but I will.

I'm all for it. I was planning on setting up a web page or blog on my son's towing site. But your add-on would be much easier.

Of course, all this will only do me any good once I start building the car.

We're working on getting it installed. The files are all there, but there are some issues with displaying blogs. As a result, we have the blog system disabled at present. We're working with the software developers to fix whatever is "broken" and we will light the blog system back up as soon as we are able.

OK, the vBlogetin system is officially open for business. I think there has been more than a handful of hair pulled out over getting this set up and the hair not pulled out has turned a bit more gray, but that's all behind us now, as we are finally blogging with vBlogetin!

You will see a Blogging link up in the Navbar. Click on that link and then click on Set Up Your Own Blog in the drop-down menu. Your blog will be created and you will be given the opportunity to type in a brief description of your blog. Save the settings and then look in that left hand column. Click on manage blocks and you will be able to select which blocks you want to have appear on your blog (which you can change at any time and move wherever you like). For the time being, you will not be able to take advantage of any of the Gallery Image blocks, but we're working on that.

Select locations for the blocks you want to use and be sure to un-check the Disabled box to allow them to be displayed. When you're finished with selecting blocks and locations, scroll down and click on Update Blocks.

If you want to check things out, click on the Blogging NavBar link and select View Your Blog. If you like how things look, then click that Blogging link again and select Create New Entry. And you're off to the races. Select the category you want the entry to appear in, a Personal Entry or a Car Entry and type away.

As mentioned, there has been much pulling of hair, tearing of clothes and gnashing of teeth during the set-up of the vBlogetin system, so don't be shy about using it. We worked hard to set it up for YOU to enjoy, so don't let us down, OK?

If anyone has any questions or problems with the blogging system, get in touch with me via Private Message and we will do our best to get you sorted out.

OK, there's good news and there's bad news.

The bad news is that all of the blogs have been deleted.

The good news is that there is a fresh, updated and upgraded copy of the vBlogetin script sitting there and waiting for everyone to start using it.

So, don't be shy. Create a blog and start adding entries to it.

We're probably going to be seeing some very rapid and positive changes to the blogging script over the next few days. I've been invited to become part of the beta release team for the script and have also joined the project management group. The change in the blog system today was due to a huge jump forward in beta releases. We're expecting another beta release, possibly within the next 24-48 hours, followed in the next 8-10 days by vBlogetin Release Candidate 1.

If any of you see any problems or possible bugs in the blogging script, please send me a Private Message with the details.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back