Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

? about showing reciepts for the PA inspecter guy

streetmaster

Im starting to get it all figured out with all i have to do to get started with my first build. It does seem though, that when asked, a lot of people give 10 different answers, to 10 different ?'s LOL. Just want some perspective on what to expect when the big day comes when i have to face the big bad inspection state police guy, after i get my 23T ready to go. I understand that i'll have to prove that what i present to him, was'nt stolen, and at this time i have nothing to show where i got my $5000 350 sbc, or my $600. TH350 that was intended for another project. My ? is will this throw up a red flag, even though there will be reciepts for everything else on the car after it is complete. I can probly convince the guy who worked on my motor to make one up, but all he did was the prep work on the block and heads. I put the motor together myself, plus i've had the block for about 10 yrs before i decided to put it to use. I've never done this type of build before, and dont want to start throwing money at this project not knowing what to exspect. Please Advise

You may want to make a call to your state DMV. They should be able to give you all the info you need.

As far as the reciepts for the engine and other stuff, some clever thinking will show you the way. Don't they sell recipt books at most office supply stores? Hmmm..... maybe they do. Maybe they do.;) Get a friend to write them so the handwriting is different from yours.

Not that I'd do anything like that. :lol:

tfeverfred said:
You may want to make a call to your state DMV. They should be able to give you all the info you need.

As far as the reciepts for the engine and other stuff, some clever thinking will show you the way. Don't they sell recipt books at most office supply stores? Hmmm..... maybe they do. Maybe they do.;) Get a friend to write them so the handwriting is different from yours.

Not that I'd do anything like that. :lol:
I guess i figured that, the inspecter would know that anyone can just make out a reciept for a stolen item, if infact it really was stolen, and wouldnt buy it. I was just curious about, just how knit picky they really are.

Honestly, I don't think they would be that picky. First off, they'll probably be more interested in the fact that you even have a hot rod, period. After a little jaw jackin' about old cars, he'll probably want to see that it's safe for the street. That will be his main concern. Knowing how easy it is to come up with reciepts, he'll just be glad you have something to show him. Anything.

Also, try tossing this on the NTBA website. There are quite a few Bucket guys from PA on there. They may be able to clue you in on some useful tips or secrets to making it a livable experience.

tfeverfred said:
Honestly, I don't think they would be that picky. First off, they'll probably be more interested in the fact that you even have a hot rod, period. After a little jaw jackin' about old cars, he'll probably want to see that it's safe for the street. That will be his main concern. Knowing how easy it is to come up with reciepts, he'll just be glad you have something to show him. Anything.

Also, try tossing this on the NTBA website. There are quite a few Bucket guys from PA on there. They may be able to clue you in on some useful tips or secrets to making it a livable experience.
Oh i can deff, jack jaw to get myself out of a jam, but thanx man, i realy want to go foward with this build, and have learned so much, so far since i've been on this site. I just love the mechanics of a T-Bucket, so much that i do plan to build and have one for as long as posible.

Good on you, man. I have wanted to build and own one of these cars for a little over 30 years. Now, I'm nearing the point where she'll be on the road. Along the way, there were a couple times where I thought I was crazy for trying to do this, but one thing I have learned in life is that, "All good things come with a price and sometimes a struggle." I wasn't going to ever quit!:mad:<war face!

If you want it, build it. There are guys in PA who have built buckets, so that proves it can be done. It may not be as easy as other states, but it can be done. You'll figure it out and having a "go for it" attitude like you have will guarantee your success. A little struggle will just make that first legal drive all the better!

I looked into this years ago when I was going to title my '27 as a reconstructed car from parts. Essentially they want to see receipts for the major components like engine, transmission, rear axle, frame, body, and maybe front end. I started throwing every little receipt I got from Speedway, Pete and Jakes, etc in a big manila envelope and figured I would dump so many on their desk that they wouldn't want to go through the stack.

In the end, I simply bought a model T title at a swap meet and used that to title the car, and I have done that same thing several times since. Things are tightening up all over now title-wise, and every State is starting to put you through more and more hoops. Now my State wants an inspector or a police officer to look at the title and verify that the numbers stamped on the car are identical. Those kits for stamping numbers and letters into metal sure come in handy sometimes! :cool::lol:

Don

I think the biggest thing they are wanting is to get their sales tax. Things you buy off the internet and catalog order you will have to pay sales tax on. At least that is how it is here in TN.

Last year when i got mine titled the police came out and GLANCED at the car then went back to there car i asked you wanna see my receits?He looked at the big bag i was carrying and said that wont be nessary.Handed me the slip i needed and said (and i'm not kidding)It would be nice if you put a side view mirror on it.He said have a good day then split.So yep i think it's all about the money.

Yeah its a boat load of legal mumbo jumbo that im not use to because i've never done a project like this. But i did manage to get the mechine shop guy that did the work on my motor to agree to write me up a reciept but with out the sales tax on it. So PA will probly nail me on it when i go to get it inspected. So with that said, can anyone inform me, as to how much one could expect to pay the state in sales tax when they rack up the reciepts. TP told me that they dont charge sales tax, because the state will nail me on it later. I guess im just curious how much some of you get soaked for after its all said and done. (LOL)

i was a pa inspection mec for quite a few years. what you need to do is contact the officer that will inspect your car in the end deal only with him only if possable. the key to this is the year the car will be titled. it should be 1923 or whatever you have just remember that the vin# on a T was on the engine block. also dont think a pa state cop is a bad guy there is a kid in all of them just like us

bill4u6 said:
i was a pa inspection mec for quite a few years. what you need to do is contact the officer that will inspect your car in the end deal only with him only if possable. the key to this is the year the car will be titled. it should be 1923 or whatever you have just remember that the vin# on a T was on the engine block. also dont think a pa state cop is a bad guy there is a kid in all of them just like us
I here ya there, yeah my motor is out of a 1984 fullsize passenger van, that only had the EGR, PSV, and the charcoal canister set up. Dont remember if it had an airpump though, but i tore the motor down and kept the bottom end for future use. If anything i'll slap an EGR back on it, and maybe i can hide the charcoal canister under the car so nobody can see it, if it comes down to it.

Yeah, the laws can be kinda confusing and the actual enforcement can also be kinda confusing . . .

My other car interest is in the Manx style dune buggies (you know, the "Speed Buggy" type fiberglass dune buggies, not the space frame sand rail type).

Most around here that I've seen have titled them as VW Bugs since the VIN on a VDub is on the floor pan. It's hard to find a VDub around here any more and I did find one but the title was lost I asked about how to do a title trace (and you can for the right amount of money and if one isn't found you can get a bonded title in which you post a bond for a certain time and if no one lays claim to it then you will get an unencumbered title issued . . . but bonds and stuff cost dollars).

When they found out I wanted to do a Manx dune buggy they said it'd have to be titled as a "special construction" as our laws say if you vary the body by more than 50% that you have to use a special construction title. I asked if all the guys with flat bed trucks have special construction titles then. I didn't get an immediate answer. After a few minutes of phone calls they basically said it wasn't enforced to well and the best bet would be to bring the pan down and get the title before the build rather than after . . . I took that as saying a bare pan, which could be used to rebuild a stock bug, wouldn't generate as many questions as a pan with a whole new fiberglass body bolted to it . . .

TTYL,

Steve

My situation is this. I bought a registration for a 1920 Model T. They didn't have titles back then. The registration is out of Iowa. Now, there is a guy who works in the same warehouse complex as me and he is a gearhead. He has a lady friend who works at the DMV. Also, there is a little shop around the corner from me that does state inspections. The lady at the DMV told me that since the car registration was from Iowa, I'd need a "green sheet". This is a form that the inspection places use for out of state cars, BUT in order to get inspected, the car has to be drivable. So, I went to the little shop that does inspections and talked to the guy. He told me that in order for him to have a "clear conscience", I need to drive the car to him, he'll inspect it as a 1920 Model T. Minimal requirements for 1920 cars. He says I need to have the registration numbers on my car somewhere, like on the frame or where ever and have insurance with those same numbers. Then, he'll give me the filled out and signed "green sheet" which will show that I have an out of state 1920 Ford that passed the Texas state inspection. This will not only clear me to get a title transfer, but I'll get my antique tags at the same time. Then, just so I don't have to deal with a nosey DMV person, I'm going to give all my paper work to the DMV friend of the guy next door. I'll imediately get tags and 3 weeks later the title will come in the mail. A little work, but worth it to have a titled 1920 Model T that will only need to be inspected every 5 years.:lol:

But in the end....... I STILL hate the darn DMV!:mad:

You should use the Total numbers stamped on the frame

Yeah, i have no problem with getting my ducks in a row, like they should be. Im not looking for a loop hole, or a way to get around anything, or try to avoid the titeling and registration process. I just want to be prepaired for what i have to face, on the day that i have to get my 23T checked out. Before i got into this T-Bucket thing, i had no clue that i'd have to go threw any of this stuff. But its no big deal in any event.

Hey, how did some of you guys do your vin#? Did you stamp the numbers in the frame or make a tag? I've got the number stamps and just wondered.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back