Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another cooling fan question

tenbears

Hello guys, I want to wire my fan as rooster did it. Backround, my T is a Flathead that I want to cool with only an electric fan. I have mounted the relay and breaker on the inside frame very close to the radiator. I bought a fan from Jeg's along with a relay and breaker but no sender. Is it possible to use my flathead(6volt) temp sending unit as the control part of the system? I am using a12v one wire alternator and a master disconnect. For the Temp gauge, I will use a mechnical gauge. Does a guy have to make a shroud or try mounting without one first? Exjunk or Rooster can you post a wiring diagram for this as wiring is not my strong suit?

Mike

Can't use the old sender, which is a resistor, not a switch. You need a thermostatic switch. Use one that screws into the motor (make sure the threads fit). Most of these are sold as part of a kit, with the relay and wires, etc., like this one from Summit: My link Not a bad deal, and it will come with instructions. Ron Francis makes kits at a slightly higher price. And you can get just the switch: My link
These switches come in specific temperatures, pick the one you want.

Can't use the old sender, which is a resistor, not a switch. You need a thermostatic switch. Use one that screws into the motor (make sure the threads fit). Most of these are sold as part of a kit, with the relay and wires, etc., like this one from Summit: My link Not a bad deal, and it will come with instructions. Ron Francis makes kits at a slightly higher price. And you can get just the switch: My link
These switches come in specific temperatures, pick the one you want.
Thanks for the info, so with the thermostatic switch I would not have to make a jumper wire that Rooster used? The other link shows how to wire it correctly. Has anyone made thier own shrouds?

Mike

[quote name='50's Kid' timestamp='1312737831' post='137541']
Thanks for the info, so with the thermostatic switch I would not have to make a jumper wire that Rooster used? The other link shows how to wire it correctly. Has anyone made thier own shrouds?

Mike
[/quote]
I had one of these probably real easy to make out of aluminum or stainless works great.
spe-4358_w.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back