Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another transmission question

Johnny

I asked about filling tranny. 4 to 5 quarts in while engine off, then finish filling while running. Now, when I start my engine, it will be to break in my cam. While it is running up to 2000 rpm for the 20 min. break in period, do I need to put that tranny fluid in at that time or can I wait until I am finished with cam break in??? What I want to know, is, if I'm not putting the tranny into gear during break in will it be okay and not burn up??? I sure don't want to wreck my new transmission!
I hope I've made myself clear about this.

Thanks,

In my Years of building my own race engines this is how I "broke" them in. 1) Dry filled trans. and eng.,2) primed engine w/drill on oil pump, 3)Fired engine to warm up- set timing, check water level. shut engine off and look for leaks top off oil and water levels. 4) If all looks and sounds well, refire engine and fill trans to proper level at idle, then amp up to 1750-2000 rpm for 10-15 minutes using idle screw. I.M.O. Then I'd go out and hammer it at 5-6000 rpm for the race, Never had an engine or trans failure.

If you run the engine for that long without enough fluid in it ,you'll run the risk of overheating the transmission .

You should have poured a quart of fluid in the torque converter before you installed it on the trans. That ensures it won't run dry during start up.
The pan will easily hold a gallon if it's dry. I usually pour that much in right before I fire the engine. A new trans will hold 6-8 (or more) quarts of fluid. I should add that my experience is with 3 and 4 speed GM autos.

Well, add your fluids, when installing the convertor, add some to it, at least a quart. When you stand the convertor up to install it, push on it to engage the splines, pushing it backwards toward the trans. After its almost there, start rocking it back and forth 1/2 to 3/4s of a turn, while pushing gently on the convertor to engage the front pump.
Some of your trans fluid will run out before you get the convertor all the way in, this is normal. You just want some fluid in there to avoid a drystart.
Then pull your trans dipstick, add the trans fluid minus however much you put in the convertor.
Now, you can do the rest one of 2 ways.

You can start the car then run in the cam first, after the cam break-in occurs, idle it down some, you'll have to usually shift thru your gears a time or two to get the fluid all the way thru your valvebody. This is normal. Sometimes, after cam break-in....the trans is usually good-to-go. Just top off the fluid that was spilt when installing the convertor.
If you have to move the shifter thru the gears to get the car to move move some, keep on moving the shifter around slowly until the car tries to move, holding your brake firmly. Move the shifter back and forth till you can feel it when you move the shifter.
Put her into park, ease off the brake and make sure the car doesn't try to move. I ALWAYS use a neutral safety switch!!!! These cars will crank easily when in gear and run off into a wall or over someone if you don't watch out!
Idle your car down to your curb idle speed, recheck things for tightness and for leaks, but the 15 to 20 minutes is crucial for cam break-in w/a flat tappet cam. With a roller cam, this is not necessary, but I still run it in to help seat the rings and valves.

John make sure that there is oil in trans 1st then do your break in. Fill the converter before installing trans to motor.

Alright, I filled the converter and was able to get 6 quarts in tranny. Think that will be okay for my break in time?? I will fill it up the rest of the way after break in.
Thanks guys for your help

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back