Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another way to build your dash

Gerry

Hi
Great metalwork and looks like it belongs.
Hers another way to make a dash. I wanted a 'flat' dash with just the speedo, but flat always looks wrong to me. I started with plain fibre board and tried 5 different designes before deciding on the final one. Take a less than an hour to cut out a shape and try lots of styles. Time well spent. Once you have the first 'dash' its easy to draw around it and change it.

As you can see from the pics the end of the dash were profiled around the screen brackets so I decided to curve the dash from side to side from the thickness of the bracket to around 1 inch deep at the centre. This stops it looking like I just cut it from flat stock and also produced a better line to the bottom rail of the screen

Once built its a case of prime paint and polish. (9 times to get the finish right).

As I wanted a few of these to try different colors etc I made it on a backboard to allow a mould to be taken from it. Now its a case of lay up and pop out your dash.. make a mistake and pop another one out.
Flexibility and fun...

gerry

View attachment: dash-final-30(3).jpg
basic start on back plate using simple tools and cheap materials
View attachment: final-dash-painting-(12).jpg
In primer
View attachment: final-dash-painting-(32).jpg
Painted in black to pick up any nasties
View attachment: Dash-(18).jpg
One that did not make it
View attachment: finished-dash-(8).jpg
Ready to make a mould and repro as many as you like

Attachments

• dash-final-30(3).jpg
    dash-final-30(3).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 602
  • final-dash-painting-(12).jpg
    final-dash-painting-(12).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 640
  • final-dash-painting-(32).jpg
    final-dash-painting-(32).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 653
  • Dash-(18).jpg
    Dash-(18).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 687
  • finished-dash-(8).jpg
    finished-dash-(8).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 597
Hi
Great metalwork and looks like it belongs.
Hers another way to make a dash. I wanted a 'flat' dash with just the speedo, but flat always looks wrong to me. I started with plain fibre board and tried 5 different designes before deciding on the final one. Take a less than an hour to cut out a shape and try lots of styles. Time well spent. Once you have the first 'dash' its easy to draw around it and change it.

As you can see from the pics the end of the dash were profiled around the screen brackets so I decided to curve the dash from side to side from the thickness of the bracket to around 1 inch deep at the centre. This stops it looking like I just cut it from flat stock and also produced a better line to the bottom rail of the screen

Once built its a case of prime paint and polish. (9 times to get the finish right).

As I wanted a few of these to try different colors etc I made it on a backboard to allow a mould to be taken from it. Now its a case of lay up and pop out your dash.. make a mistake and pop another one out.
Flexibility and fun...

gerry

[attachment=3678:dash-final-30(3).jpg]
basic start on back plate using simple tools and cheap materials
[attachment=3679:final-dash-painting-(12).jpg]
In primer
[attachment=3680:final-dash-painting-(32).jpg]
Painted in black to pick up any nasties
[attachment=3681:Dash-(18).jpg]
One that did not make it
[attachment=3682:finished-dash-(8).jpg]
Ready to make a mould and repro as many as you like

Very nice. I really enjoy viewing good craftsmanship.

Jim

Very nice work :rofl:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back