Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Better street manners, thanks guys.

deckofficer

Banned
Followed all of the good suggestions from Hotrod46 Mike, and others. Pleased to report my Track-T has much improved street manners. I did want to use a Rochester Q-jet but the needed spacer for my intake manifold was too thick for air cleaner clearance with the hood. Went with the 600 cfm Edelbrock with vacuum secondairies AND an electric choke. No more stabbing the throttle to keep running when cold. Also replaced my race style Mallory distributor with a new Mallory with vacuum advance. Did not have access to a distributor machine so paid to have the curves dialed in at a shop that then does the final tuning on a chassis dyno. Puts 311 hp to the rollers @ 5874 rpms vs. 385 hp at the engine @ 6100 rpms. I wish the chassis dyno tech would have looked closer at the engine dyno sheet because he would have seen that after the power fell off just a bit at 5900 rpms, it rose again for a points limited power at 6100 rpms. So I still do not know what this engine is capable of but have to go with the engine builder who says he has built dozens like mine and if they have solid state points (like mine now has) that it pulls 425 to 430 on the engine dyno @ 6400 rpms. Has anyone else dyno'ed their ride and what are your numbers?

deckofficer said:
Followed all of the good suggestions from Hotrod46 Mike, and others. Pleased to report my Track-T has much improved street manners. I did want to use a Rochester Q-jet but the needed spacer for my intake manifold was too thick for air cleaner clearance with the hood. Went with the 600 cfm Edelbrock with vacuum secondairies AND an electric choke. No more stabbing the throttle to keep running when cold. Also replaced my race style Mallory distributor with a new Mallory with vacuum advance. Did not have access to a distributor machine so paid to have the curves dialed in at a shop that then does the final tuning on a chassis dyno. Puts 311 hp to the rollers @ 5874 rpms vs. 385 hp at the engine @ 6100 rpms. I wish the chassis dyno tech would have looked closer at the engine dyno sheet because he would have seen that after the power fell off just a bit at 5900 rpms, it rose again for a points limited power at 6100 rpms. So I still do not know what this engine is capable of but have to go with the engine builder who says he has built dozens like mine and if they have solid state points (like mine now has) that it pulls 425 to 430 on the engine dyno @ 6400 rpms. Has anyone else dyno'ed their ride and what are your numbers?

I'd say you are real close on your numbers there. You lose 20-25% on a chassis dyno vs an engine dyno. At least that is what we found on diesel trucks.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.:toast:

I'm guessing that my engine is making somewhere around 300 or so at the crank and it's a blast to drive. I bet with 311 at the wheels that thing is quick! :rofl:
Drive the wheels off of it!

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back