Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Browbeater T

Hackerbilt

What can I say?
I'm a slave to her whims and desires...LoL

Done a lot with this old girl and shes treated me decent so far. Real blast to drive with the 454!
Anyway...I will add pics as the mood hits and time is available.
Right now I'm finishing off a new windshield frame and bracket fabrication. NOT as simple as I first thought it would be!
20170129_213104r.jpg Roughed it in to see what I was up against. Gonna have to reshape the mounting areas on the body. Oh well...there it starts!20170219_172907r.jpg The posts are made from some old pipe I found that fits the frame. Has some deep pits that I will leave. They look like real originals that have seen some rough times. I like that...20170305_160017r.jpg The frame itself is made from some pipe along the bottom while the top and sides are made from a couple of 56 Ford truck tierod tubes. I just cut a slot to fit the glass.20170308_201612r.jpg Once its all put together I will have 11" of glass...up from the 9" I had originally. The angle of the frame is more vertical which helps in the road viewing dept.20170525_213845r.jpg The frame and brackets bolt together with modified bolts out thru the channel. The uppers will eventually have support rods and wing nuts because I like the look, while the lowers will be acorn nuts.
More pics to come as it gets done!

Decided the A crosmember decorating the back needed a bit of gingerbread and a tie in to the front of the T...so I decided to add some lightening holes to match the front friction shocks and bracket. I really like the difference it made!
Heres how it was...
2015-06-21 22.20.17r.jpg Heres how it is now...well, before it got repainted.
20170520_215029r.jpg

Great work on that wind shield frame!

One of my sons gave me a small Skull gearshift knob YEARS ago for a different project. Never did use it and felt a bit bad for that.
Decided to get a little foolish and go a bit off the wall for a change.
I had a motormeter/big wing rad cap that I wasn't using so I combined the two to make a flying skull rad cap.
I know...a touch tacky but he likes it and so do I.
Besides...A bit of fun never killed anyone...hahaha
20170520_134018r.jpg

Thanks Fred!
I forgot to mention...the hinge things in the middle of the posts are for the wind wings I'm making. This is a windy spot so I needed something strong.
I'm hoping to get a touch more comfort if I can.

Quote: "Right now I'm finishing off a new windshield frame and bracket fabrication. NOT as simple as I first thought it would be!"

That is the story of my life.

One of my sons gave me a small Skull gearshift knob YEARS ago for a different project. Never did use it and felt a bit bad for that.
Decided to get a little foolish and go a bit off the wall for a change.
I had a motormeter/big wing rad cap that I wasn't using so I combined the two to make a flying skull rad cap.
I know...a touch tacky but he likes it and so do I.
Besides...A bit of fun never killed anyone...hahaha

Tacky!? I think it kicks ass!

That's how I made mine also.

Cool!
I saw the thread Gerry did about making his so I did these using the same idea just a lot different.
Thanks Gerry!

How are you securing the glass into the frame Butch?
I have some thin glass channel rubber meant for Shower Doors, but I will need to still use a lot of urethane to mount the rubber/glass into the frame. Not much cushion from the SD rubber!
SHOULD work fine...but I figure its gonna be a messy chore to get it all set up.

Thinking I might make a tool from a plastic spreader to mold the glue into the channel first...leaving a square area for the glass and rubber to drop into, once the first application of urethane is cured.

Cool!
I saw the thread Gerry did about making his so I did these using the same idea just a lot different.
Thanks Gerry!

How are you securing the glass into the frame Butch?
I have some thin glass channel rubber meant for Shower Doors, but I will need to still use a lot of urethane to mount the rubber/glass into the frame. Not much cushion from the SD rubber!
SHOULD work fine...but I figure its gonna be a messy chore to get it all set up.

Thinking I might make a tool from a plastic spreader to mold the glue into the channel first...leaving a square area for the glass and rubber to drop into, once the first application of urethane is cured.
The urethane from 3m that comes in a caulking tube, that is used to mount windshields is awesome. It would fill the void, cushion the glass, and secure it. It's very tuff, strong stuff, so keep that in mind. It's no fun to remove. You might consider using some rubber hose to make positioning blocks to center the glass and just leave them in, encased in urethane.

The urethane from 3m that comes in a caulking tube, that is used to mount windshields is awesome. It would fill the void, cushion the glass, and secure it. It's very tuff, strong stuff, so keep that in mind. It's no fun to remove. You might consider using some rubber hose to make positioning blocks to center the glass and just leave them in, encased in urethane.

You've done this before! :)
Yes...thats pretty much exactly how I want to do it, except I want to use that thin mounting channel I have as well.
The idea being that if the glass should ever crack it won't be absolute torture to remove the old one, like it would be if its bonded right to the frame.
Sure is tempting to directly bond it though...LoL

Brushed Aluminum firewall is cleared and mounted as of yesterday.
That plastic wrap on the throttle cable has to go! LoL
20170527_204252r.jpg

What brand is your body? Looks like it has lots of leg room.

Decided the A crosmember decorating the back needed a bit of gingerbread and a tie in to the front of the T...so I decided to add some lightening holes to match the front friction shocks and bracket. I really like the difference it made!
Heres how it was...
View attachment 13441 Heres how it is now...well, before it got repainted.
View attachment 13442
I like the roll bar. I have a similar idea for mine. I'm still wavering on stainless, chrome, or black. My car has a lot of old school chrome parts, suspension, differential, etc and I am after a more sinister look, so I may tone down the windshield frame, roll bar, etc. I'm sort of committed to retaining the chrome underparts. Of course, if I don't get back to work on it, it won't matter, lol...

You've done this before! :)
Yes...thats pretty much exactly how I want to do it, except I want to use that thin mounting channel I have as well.
The idea being that if the glass should ever crack it won't be absolute torture to remove the old one, like it would be if its bonded right to the frame.
Sure is tempting to directly bond it though...LoL
For the sake of conversation, I wonder if one would use cellophane or foil tape, etc on the edges of the glass, urethane it, then trim it. If that would allow a less torturous removal? If the tape was installed with the adhesive side away from the glass, it would only be held in place by friction...in theory. I have to replace a windshield in one of my ragtops. If I remember, I will do up a experimental item when I have everything out. If it works, it would make for a much simpler and cleaner looking install, imho.

What brand is your body? Looks like it has lots of leg room.
No idea what the body started as. The car was built as a high seat, BB with blower show car in the late 70's. A good friend of mine bought it in the 90's and made it into a road car. As part of the conversion he stretched the frame 10" and added 10" to the cowl with a faux 27 T look. Very roomy now!

I like the roll bar. I have a similar idea for mine. I'm still wavering on stainless, chrome, or black. My car has a lot of old school chrome parts, suspension, differential, etc and I am after a more sinister look, so I may tone down the windshield frame, roll bar, etc. I'm sort of committed to retaining the chrome underparts. Of course, if I don't get back to work on it, it won't matter, lol...

A lot of chrome on this one too. A little less with my new windshield I guess...
Some of mine could use replacement but...its mostly shiny! LoL
I really like the sinister look as well and a low top is in the plans for mine. Just couldn't get to it this time round.
Love those low top cars like Moonkist!
I was actually thinking on trying for a more 50's/early 60's look but there are just too many differences.
Be just as well to start a new frame and go from there.
Thought it over for a while and decided I like this car too much and just to go with the...sinister 70's look! Hahaha
Just have some fun with it ya know!?!? :D

The roll bar is made from a 1970's Landcruiser roll bar.
It had those larger radius bends that make it look a little different than the normal bars you see in muscle cars etc.

For the sake of conversation, I wonder if one would use cellophane or foil tape, etc on the edges of the glass, urethane it, then trim it. If that would allow a less torturous removal? If the tape was installed with the adhesive side away from the glass, it would only be held in place by friction...in theory. I have to replace a windshield in one of my ragtops. If I remember, I will do up a experimental item when I have everything out. If it works, it would make for a much simpler and cleaner looking install, imho.

Ya know...thats a damn good idea...and I think it will work!
Just do the reversed tape thing you mentioned and cut the excess urethane AND the taped on reversed tape once its cured.
I'm thinking I may give that a try.
Awesome stuff! :D

Cool!
I saw the thread Gerry did about making his

Good to know I have helped in a small way, and better to see some feedback. Cute T you have there. The front wheels (even though a bit wide for my tastes) look good. Skull on the motometer works for me, doesn't look out of place and personal to you and yours. I have a couple of things on mine that are there due to friendship, rather than looks or design.

Good to know I have helped in a small way, and better to see some feedback. Cute T you have there. The front wheels (even though a bit wide for my tastes) look good.

Yes, its really helpful to see how someone else did something sometimes. You can't beat seeing something over just picturing things in your mind. My layout was different than yours, but the basic look I wanted was there and obviously looked good! Stuff like that can give you the little nudge you need to start you moving...LoL

Skull on the motometer works for me, doesn't look out of place and personal to you and yours. I have a couple of things on mine that are there due to friendship, rather than looks or design.
I appreciate that Gerry. You have a good way of looking at whats important. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back