Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

California emissions?

You guys in California, what do you have to do with a new built T as far as emissions goes?

Do you have to run cats?
I've seen some that I think are running hamsters.

Cats are to self centered to run in one direction.

I have mine registered as a 1920 in Cali, so I don't know about the smog on a special construction.

I've seen some that I think are running hamsters.
Sorry Ron, I couldn't resist. To be serious, I have seen at least 50 T-buckets out here, and have never seen one with a cat. Everybody has headers into turn-outs or zoomies with baffles. I think the most smog control I have seen is just a pcv valve dumping into the intake or carb. Everyone I know has their cars registered as '23's so no smog requirement, or got one of the 500 exemptions that you can get at the beginning of the year, or are registered with the year of the engine, which I guess is either pre-1975 or close enough to it that they don't need much in the way of smog control devices. We'll see what the future brings. We have both lobbyists trying to maintain the status quo, and people who want to get rid of "those d**n hot rodders antheir noise polluting rattle traps". Not to mention the State of California which is broke, and sees re-registration and taxation of hot rods as an appropriate source of additional income. Apologies for the :rolleyes:

Jeff

What Nevada does is reg. then as a new vehicle, applicable to the newest laws. Then you get a letter from the dealership for the year of the engine and go to a referee station for a waiver. It was easier to do my reg in CA over NV.

DMV gave me many different answers, but what I got from the Highway patrol and the Smog Referee station was that they base the smog requirements on the model year of the engine used. So if they run the ID numbers on the engine and it comes up as chevy engine from 1980-1985, you have to pass the smog inspection per 1985 standards/specs for a 1985 chevy engine.

If your one of the lucky people who are able to get a "sequence number", then you choose to have to pass the smog requirements based on the year the car most resembles (in this case 1927), in which case they will just assign your engine as a 1960 model, which require no smog. They only give out 500 sequence numbers a year for the entire state of california.

When I got my sequence number, I had to be first in line at DMV on the first day of the year they were open, even then I got sequence #232. I still had to go to a smog referee so they could finalize the smog exemption using the sequence number, the person at the smog referee told me I was lucky I got one. So many people try to do the same thing and its a matter of the DMV being able to get through to Sacramento to request the sequence number, so theres people that dont get it even though they were first in line.

Sorry Ron, I couldn't resist. To be serious, I have seen at least 50 T-buckets out here, and have never seen one with a cat. Everybody has headers into turn-outs or zoomies with baffles. I think the most smog control I have seen is just a pcv valve dumping into the intake or carb. Everyone I know has their cars registered as '23's so no smog requirement, or got one of the 500 exemptions that you can get at the beginning of the year, or are registered with the year of the engine, which I guess is either pre-1975 or close enough to it that they don't need much in the way of smog control devices. We'll see what the future brings. We have both lobbyists trying to maintain the status quo, and people who want to get rid of "those d**n hot rodders antheir noise polluting rattle traps". Not to mention the State of California which is broke, and sees re-registration and taxation of hot rods as an appropriate source of additional income. Apologies for the :)

Jeff

Hi
You guys have it very easy.
If you want to register a car in the UK we have a thing called SVA. Single Vehicle Approval (now its called something different as Europe has got hold of it) We have to go to a Government testing station manned by people who know what the 5 word of the 17 paqragraph of the 45 chapter of the approval handbook is. Additionally they use a roller on a stick to move all over your car, If it gets stuck then you fail. And thats only one of the numerous tests they carry out. A T will NEVER go through this test. To give you the heads up Old registration documents are now in great demand and can go for hundreds or evenb thousands of dollars. Count your blessing while they last
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back