Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

chevy camber question.

madmak

When building a front axle for 50's chevy spindles what is the camber degree angle?

camber_angle.gif

From my experience doing alignments you want it to be as close to zero as possible. That would be with a strong front axle. Some do get a little flex depending on what motor is going in.You could call RPM one of our sponsors he builds axles and is very helpful and loves to talk buckets.

madmak said:
When building a front axle for 50's chevy spindles what is the camber degree angle?

camber_angle.gif

What you have there is king pin angle and it is 10 degrees. Camber is the angle of the tire to the road and we set it at zero. If you get the 10 degrees right then you should have zero camber.

We have 2 jigs we built one to notch the axle ends and another to hold everything in place to weld it all together. When you weld the ends into the tube you have to get both ends the same for the castor to be even also. Not impossible to do with out a jig, but tricky.

Well with a I-Beam axle like I have I noted that my front tires has a slight lean out the top. Which I believ is Positive camber. I wish there was a way I can fix that.

HAceT said:
Well with a I-Beam axle like I have I noted that my front tires has a slight lean out the top. Which I believ is Positive camber. I wish there was a way I can fix that.

A good alignment shop could bend the axle and fix it for you. Have you checked the king pins to make sure they are not worn?

i might be ask the wronge question.... or not.. what will be the degree angle of the king pins at the axle so that the tire is at zero when useing a chevy spindle? so i will know how to set up my jig. on a ford spindle it is at 9 degrees if im not mistaken.

What you are looking for is an alignment shop that pretty much does trucks only. They have the equipment and knowledge on how to bend the axle on the rack. The typical car places like Tuffy and all will look at you like you have 9 heads. The procedure entails clamping the axle down in certain spots and then pulling down or pushing up on it in other spots to bend it to the correct shape. Not so hot on a chromed or nicely painted axle, but you generally get this done before the car is finished.

Don

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back