Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cleaning ford rear end for reassemble

Like they say... clean it until it's clean, then clean it again!

Looks good. Make sure non of those rusty spots have loose particles. Also confirm your chunk has a fill plug.

I cannot tell much by that pic. If you will show the pinion flange side and the other side of the ring gear carrier, I might be able to tell you something. It looks to be a generic 9" . If you want to know the gear ratio count the little gear teeth and divide into the big gear teeth.
U joint cups are usually 1 1/8th inch, with some 1 inch. If the pinion and carrier bearings feel good, you are probably in good shape. Do not remove the pinion flange, unless you are familiar with the crush sleeve and bearing pre load. If this carrier leaks it might be on the pinion seal. With no signs of leaks, leave it alone.

I cannot tell much by that pic. If you will show the pinion flange side and the other side of the ring gear carrier, I might be able to tell you something. It looks to be a generic 9" . If you want to know the gear ratio count the little gear teeth and divide into the big gear teeth.
U joint cups are usually 1 1/8th inch, with some 1 inch. If the pinion and carrier bearings feel good, you are probably in good shape. Do not remove the pinion flange, unless you are familiar with the crush sleeve and bearing pre load. If this carrier leaks it might be on the pinion seal. With no signs of leaks, leave it alone.

If you cleaned & coated the Center section out of the housing w/ the gears/bearings still in it , more than likely there's debris in the bearings/gears & the heat from the oven damaged thr front seal...

From your pictures, looks like an open carrier. Everything looks good. No need to disassemble, unless you feel excessive backlash or rough bearings. The gear tooth surfaces look good. You should not be able to move the pinion in or out. Noticed your chunk has a fill hole, so your are good there also.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back