Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hello from Minnesota

Fletch, what kind of lifters did you use?
Everything was a matched kit from comp cams except the cloys timing chain, in a ford Cleveland, cam, lifters, springs, push rods, pre lube, break in additive... just a rv cam, nothing radical, no heavy springs, preload adjusted correctly.

Good advice on camshafts, had a total of four go bad in two different motors, Did lots of research and I feel it is a combintion of cam hardening and/or lifters not rotating, I found the Clay Smith cams lifters are all made in America and may be the only lifter builder that can say that, Installed a new old stock Crane Cam and Clay Smith lifters, I have installed hundreds of cams in the past of almost all manufacturers with no problems, Put 1k miles so far on this setup and no problems. Hope this helps someone that wont have to go to the work and expense I did.

Good advice on camshafts, had a total of four go bad in two different motors, Did lots of research and I feel it is a combintion of cam hardening and/or lifters not rotating, I found the Clay Smith cams lifters are all made in America and may be the only lifter builder that can say that, Installed a new old stock Crane Cam and Clay Smith lifters, I have installed hundreds of cams in the past of almost all manufacturers with no problems, Put 1k miles so far on this setup and no problems. Hope this helps someone that wont have to go to the work and expense I did.
When I spoke to the comp cams tech guy, he told me that to his understanding, all companies were using cam blanks sourced in China, he said the Rockwell harness was in spec, but something sure isn’t right. If there is a actual USA manufactured cam, I would love to know for sure who it is for future reference. If the lifters don’t spin, that’s a grind issue, but when the cam denigrates in ten minutes with proper lubrication, there are major problems, imho. It’s very frustrating to put the time and money into an engine to have it self destruct for no legitimate reason. Thanks for the tip!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back