Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Clevis pins

tfeverfred

I was checking out my T before taking it for a little spin. HAHA Pre-flight check. Looking at the clevis pins, wouldn't it be better or at least as good to use a bolt, nyloc and a cotter pin?
Has anyone done this?

Okay, here's what I think would work and perhaps work even better than a clevis pin.

A Grade 8 or Grade 5 3/8"-16 X 2" bolt with a 3/8" nyloc. the nyloc would be okay by itself, but just for extra security, drill the bolt and run a cotter pin. Total cost $1.53 for two. Safer AND cheaper? Any comments?

Picture6.jpg

tfeverfred said:
I was checking out my T before taking it for a little spin. HAHA Pre-flight check. Looking at the clevis pins, wouldn't it be better or at least as good to use a bolt, nyloc and a cotter pin?
Has anyone done this?

Okay, here's what I think would work and perhaps work even better than a clevis pin.

A Grade 8 or Grade 5 3/8"-16 X 2" bolt with a 3/8" nyloc. the nyloc would be okay by itself, but just for extra security, drill the bolt and run a cotter pin. Total cost $1.53 for two. Safer AND cheaper? Any comments?

Picture6.jpg
[/quote

Cotter Pin or safety wire Fred But do not torque tighten it cause it has to pivot.

Yea, that unthreaded part will leave just enough room for the assembly to pivot. I was thinking a cotter pin would do the job just fine, but you're right, either a cotter pin or safety wire would do the trick. I just may do the swap down the later. For some reason, the clevis pins look like a weak link in the front suspension setup.

tfeverfred said:
Yea, that unthreaded part will leave just enough room for the assembly to pivot. I was thinking a cotter pin would do the job just fine, but you're right, either a cotter pin or safety wire would do the trick. I just may do the swap down the later. For some reason, the clevis pins look like a weak link in the front suspension setup.
Mr.Roadster has a nice SMOOTHIE Clevis(But you might run the risk of copying an idea)That would look and work good.All you do is put removable locktight on it then tighten it.part #910-02036 in the Speedway catalog

Rick said:
Mr.Roadster has a nice SMOOTHIE Clevis(But you might run the risk of copying an idea)That would look and work good.All you do is put removable locktight on it then tighten it.part #910-02036 in the Speedway catalog

Yea, those are nice, but Old Bill sure is proud of them at $22.99 each!:eek:

tfeverfred said:
Yea, those are nice, but Old Bill sure is proud of them at $22.99 each!:eek:
Don't go and look at Uncle Mickeys

His aren't THAT bad, but considering there is an alternative... Sometimes I'm really amazed at what some of this "pretty" stuff cost.

I was originally going to use cal Custom finned valve covers, to get an old school look for my engine. Then I saw the $199 price tag!:eek: I guess braggin' rights cost a lot. I'll probably spring for some pretty stuff one day, as a treat, but otherwise, I'll keep shopping and thinking of alternatives.

tfeverfred said:
His aren't THAT bad, but considering there is an alternative... Sometimes I'm really amazed at what some of this "pretty" stuff cost.

I was originally going to use cal Custom finned valve covers, to get an old school look for my engine. Then I saw the $199 price tag!:eek: I guess braggin' rights cost a lot. I'll probably spring for some pretty stuff one day, as a treat, but otherwise, I'll keep shopping and thinking of alternatives.
Do like we did when we(ME) were riding Harleys just lock tight it and forget it For a while.But don't use permanent locktight you have to heat it to get it apart

Always use grade 8 fasteners on you suspension parts. The extra cost is cheap safety. The Ny-loc should work alone.

Youngster said:
Always use grade 8 fasteners on you suspension parts. The extra cost is cheap safety. The Ny-loc should work alone.

I swapped my front pins out for the bolts. Looks good. The threads ended right at where the clevis is and enough thread left behind the nyloc. It looks much safer for some reason. I may or may not swap out the ones in the rear. It was my front suspension that was a main concern.

Thanks for all the input.:D

Ya did good Fred. Now do the back ones and it's onward and upward.

Youngster said:
Ya did good Fred. Now do the back ones and it's onward and upward.

Did 'em today! Done deal.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back