Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Coil Overs

T-test None of my brackets are welded to the rear axle tube yet. I think the 4 link bars are about right they are about 1 to 1 1/2 inch from level as it hangs no load with no spring pressure shocks fully extended, they are 165 rate springs. I do understand the use of bump stops and agree. Where the rear is positioned it would contact the very upper part of the kick up with the front of the axle tube at 4 1/2 inches. Could you take a look at my photos and give me your opinion? Right now I have 100 inch wheel base and about 15 inch drive shaft length. I need to sit the body on yet to check engine firewall distance but it should be about right it was set up for sbc with th trans I am going sbf with th400 so the distance shouldn't change much I wouldn't think. maybe just the tunnel clearance my need opened up on the body. I am trying to keep the shocks 90 degree to the frame and axle when done so as not to have to remove the brackets for correction once welded on. I am un decided on 29 or 31 inch tires. leaning toward the 31's. Wheels 15 x 14 and have 4 7/8 back space.

I have 150# springs .. mounted at 20*.. 1-1/2" to 2" is about "normal " travel ... I have bump stops at 3" , seldom hit them...
dave

I found the answer I was looking for by searching the forums. How easy was that DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Any way thanks for the replies and help. This one should be posted all over the place. So as guys like me don't ask dumb questions. LOL

RPM
"You need to contact who you got the shocks from and find out what the ride height is for that part #. The ones we sell are 12.5" so you would take 2 pcs of sq tube and drill the holes 12.5" apart and use that for mock up at ride height. Then when you install the shocks and add all the weight it should be right if you got the right spring on it."

Now to make up the flat bar mock up parts. This is simple stuff. All this thinking for nothing. Can't wait to get it done but got 12hr shifts the next few days. I did get some 316 1' rod stainless to make the standoff spacers for the coil overs with though. I just need to drill a 1/2 inch hole with lath, or should I say have a buddy at work drill and cut them off at 1 1/2 inch for the upper pair need to get mocked up for the bottom because I will need to extend the mounts up from current location with 1/4 inch plate brackets may get some stainless for them too?

You will probably find that your upper & lower spacers will be different lengths , you want the mounting bolts to be perpedicular to the shock at ride height so as not to put the bushings in a bind....
dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back