Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Decoding a radiator

Track T-4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I am considering replacing my radiator. The markings on it are "BEHR" and "71 EB-8005-DA". I believe it might be a Pinto or Falcon unit. :confused: I've hunted around and can't find a good code table for this. Anyone know what the breakdown is? Thanks.

Your local Ford parts department should be able to get the info you want.

Ron

Track T-4 said:
I am considering replacing my radiator. The markings on it are "BEHR" and "71 EB-8005-DA". I believe it might be a Pinto or Falcon unit. :confused: I've hunted around and can't find a good code table for this. Anyone know what the breakdown is? Thanks.

It's probably a V8 Mustang radiator. That's the most commonl used one.

Back on a mission to decode my radiator. I've checked with parts stores, Ford dealers and radiator shops with no luck. Any one have a magic decoder book for radiators? The current one is a BEHR with the numbers "71 EB-8005-DA". Woild like to try for an exact replacement to make installation easier. :confused::confused::confused:

Looks like I finally know the source of my radiator, it's from a Mercury Capri. Now I'll have to see if I can find an OEM or one in good shape. I got some estimates to recore this one - about $350-400 - a little more than I'm ready to spend.

Thanks for the feedback.

I hate to be a stinker but i have ordered 2 things from rock auto and both times turned out to be a HUGE Chinese cluster flip. The last time i had to get paypal to refund my money after i waited 2 weeks for a item that was suppose to be in stock. But who knows you may have better luck.

Track T-4 said:
Looks like I finally know the source of my radiator, it's from a Mercury Capri. Now I'll have to see if I can find an OEM or one in good shape. I got some estimates to recore this one - about $350-400 - a little more than I'm ready to spend.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey Track.....try Putz's first......but just let me say this.......anymore the parts stores don't carry 'direct' replacements.....what they do is get your measurements.....order one thats suppossed to fit. On my OneTon Dodge Dually.......I had to replace the radiator.......Dodge wanted a mint for going it their way.....so I went to the parts place and ordered one. It was a generic Aluminum. Copper radiators are becoming a thing of the past! Hell....a kid that works in my shop has a 96' S-10.....the dawm tanks on it are plastic.....I shit you not!!!!! He was parked outside and went to lunch....coolant under the radiator.......I called the Parts house....they had one the next day..........it was plastic too!
Next thing you know, they'll make the carbs out of plastic or potmetal................:biggrin:

to track t-4 do you happen to know what year capri that rad came out of ,the capri and mustang were the same fox platform for about 12 years or so ,so they share alot of parts including radiator, so aftermarket options are abundant for that style radiator,but if yours is from the shrunk down version of the capri that is were my help stops i never dealt with any of those sorry

I hear ya Screamin Metal on the whole plastic thing. Last year I needed a new water engine temp sensor for my 90 F150. After a big protest, I bought O'Reilly's all plastic unit. The damn thing went out inside of 4 months. I had to order a real one through a mechanic.

On this truck it does more than just take the temperature. If it malfunctions, the engine runs rough, check engine lights come on and it ruins your drive to work.:mad:

Plastic is fine for some things, and I don't blame O'Reilly's for them selling an all plastic engine temp sensor. They just sell whatever their manufacturers send them.

Rusty Buckets,

I am assuming the radiator is from a 1971 because the number starts with "71" but there has been some questions expressed about the validiaty of the number actually being a part number. If nothing turns up I will probably have this one recored over the winter. Thanks.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back