Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

DIY wheel center

thebearded1

Wasn't sure what thread to put this under but I've got a wheel project I wanted yalls thoughts on.

I've been having a tough go finding any 15x4.5 or 15x5 steel wheels in my area with a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I know Speedway sells 15x5 for $189 a piece but was trying to find a used option to save some dough since these would likely be just used for drag racing.

I thought about using the company send cut send to make some adapters so I could use VW Beetle wide 5 rims which are 15x4.5 inch. I thought about making them myself but don't have the means to ensure they are done precisely enough. Would A36 steel be strong enough at a 1/4" thick? They also have 4130 chromoly but the cost isn't worth building the adapters. They have T6 aluminum too but I figured that would have to be too thick to be strong enough and take up too much threads on the lugs.

Are there some circle track racers in your area that could point you to someone who could weld some up for you? That would have to be cheaper than Speedway.

Are there some circle track racers in your area that could point you to someone who could weld some up for you? That would have to be cheaper than Speedway.

I might be able to put a post out on my local tracks facebook page. I thought about welding up a set but i'm sure the balance would be way out with my welding skills with my stick welder haha

The adapter needs to be thick enough to be able to counterbore deep enough to sink the nuts below the surface. Then the wheel will sit flat against the adaptor. Probably would need to be a minimum of 1” thick.
I bought 2 different sets of 5 X 5.5 on eBay. The first set was $40. I ended up junking them because they were so rusty I didn’t want to use them. Te second set was $100. They were in nice shape. I’m using them on my Model A Ford. Search eBay. They’re available.

I think Ford trucks are 5 x5.5”. What size are you looking for? Wheels and tires have so much influence on looks you may want to get exactly what you want and save money someplace else.

When I need an odd size wheel I go to a used tire shop. Older ones usually have some left over wheels from forgotten projects.

The adapter needs to be thick enough to be able to counterbore deep enough to sink the nuts below the surface. Then the wheel will sit flat against the adaptor. Probably would need to be a minimum of 1” thick.
I bought 2 different sets of 5 X 5.5 on eBay. The first set was $40. I ended up junking them because they were so rusty I didn’t want to use them. Te second set was $100. They were in nice shape. I’m using them on my Model A Ford. Search eBay. They’re available.

I've been looking on ebay as well and can find 5" but would prefer 4 or 4.5" The VW wheels would not require the lug nuts to be recessed into the adapter. The adapter would be creating a wheel center for the rim. Below is a photo of the VW wheel. The bolt pattern is roughly 5 on 8.07"

500-8020-SP-5-Lug-VW-Wheel-Silver-Smoothie-1_2.jpg

I think Ford trucks are 5 x5.5”. What size are you looking for? Wheels and tires have so much influence on looks you may want to get exactly what you want and save money someplace else.

When I need an odd size wheel I go to a used tire shop. Older ones usually have some left over wheels from forgotten projects.

I'm going to go to the u pull it junkyard and see what I can find too. The speedway wheels are wider than I'd want so that's why I was going to try making the VW wheels work.

Just went back and read your first post. That reminded me remember the donut spares? They were 15x4” I think so you may be able to find some of those. They had 4 3/4” bolt circles for Chevys.

Just went back and read your first post. That reminded me remember the donut spares? They were 15x4” I think so you may be able to find some of those. They had 4 3/4” bolt circles for Chevys.
I'm looking for 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern though. I've got my list of modern cars with that pattern for when I go to the u pull it

The more I read these posts, the more confused I get. What are you trying to accomplish?

The adapter plate will be a round circle with a set of holes 5 on 8" to bolt the vw rim too. Closer to the middle will be a set of holes 5 on 5.5". There will also be a hole in the center for the hub. The vw wheel will bolt to the adapter plate with 1/2 bolts. Then the whole assembly will bolt onto the car like a regular wheel.

Similar to these EMPI VW 5x205 Wheel to Porsche 5x130 Hub Wheel Adapters - Pair - 9481

Just curious. What front spindles and rear end are you bolting these 5x5.5 wheels to? I wanted 5x5.5 to fit the Model A bolt pattern. Most modern cars are 5x4.5 or 5x4.75! Most truck wheels that are 5x 5.5 are quite wide wheels. Like 8" wide. Seems kind of wide for front wheels.
I can see the idea of using VW wheels as for the big center hole if you're adapting.
Your project. Your choice! As I said, Just curious.

Any decent machine shop should be able to cut that adapter disc and drill it precisely for you. 1/4” should be plenty, you may consider hardening it but given the relatively low weight of the car, I don’t know. You might look into hubs from dune buggy builders. Lots of custom parts in that hobby too. There may be a way to use them on your spindles.

I'll check with my buddy who used to do machine work. He has some equipment in his garage so maybe he could make me up a set.

I have no idea what you are looking for due to my limited knowledge of wheels but the wheel in the picture looks a lot like the ones they use to move mobile homes with, if this is any help.

I thought they were VW WHEELS. Don’t know the bolt circle but some early Ford wheels had the wide 5 bolt pattern like ‘35 -40 ish maybe.

Yup these are VW wheels that I posted a photo of and unfortunately they are a different bolt pattern than the old Ford wide 5s. I went to the junkyard today and found a decent set of those VW wheels but i didn't realize how large the bolt holes are so i passed on trying to make the adapter. Didn't have any luck finding any 15x5 wheels either. All the spare donut wheels were smaller bolt patterns. I will keep my eyes out at car shows or maybe i iwll seel these tires and get some for 16" wheels which are easier to find

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back