Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Does anyone know....

all-world1

Been down here in Rapid City, SD enjoying a week of fun, beer and greasy food and I just happened to be driving around the backside of Rushmore Mall off I-90 when I stumbled on a huge complex called Hot Rod Institute. Anyone know anything about this place?

all-world1 said:
Been down here in Rapid City, SD enjoying a week of fun, beer and greasy food and I just happened to be driving around the backside of Rushmore Mall off I-90 when I stumbled on a huge complex called Hot Rod Institute. Anyone know anything about this place?

Just googled it.....The internet iz a terrible thing to waste....:eek: "BH"

Contact Us - Hot Rod Institute

Thanks Huey....yup, should have looked it up...maybe too much beer this last week.

An interesting concept. Of course, no tuitions mentioned so I would think it would be a pricey venture. (but what isn't these days?)
Looks like a lot of the courses could be a more refined version of what you could get in the local community colleges.

all-world1 said:
Thanks Huey....yup, should have looked it up...maybe too much beer this last week.

An interesting concept. Of course, no tuitions mentioned so I would think it would be a pricey venture. (but what isn't these days?)
Looks like a lot of the courses could be a more refined version of what you could get in the local community colleges.

Seems like maybe there is another school like it ....Maybe in Wyoming ????? I hear lots of grads from these schools getting picked up at big Rod builders shops and Racing Teams....
I think I read that somewhere on another forum ....
Beer is good, keeps the excess brain cells in check.
:cool: "BH"

Wyotech is the school in Wyoming. It's my understanding that to get into their street rod and high performance schools one had to complete their mechanics or auto body courses. According to the website for this place you skip all of that and go right into learning how to do street rods. I wish I was a young man. Steve

Before anyone rushs...

...out to sign up for these schools, Jason Slover at Pete & Jakes told me that they get way more people that have graduated from the schools applying for jobs than they would ever have positions for. He said that most other rod shops are that way too.

But the schools will certainly be happy to take your money!

Re: Before anyone rushs...

der Spieler said:
Found this link to an article in the Rapid City newspaper Hot Rod Institute opens in Rapid City RapidCityJournal.com
Looks like the founder has good credentials. He started the street rod program at Wyotech. Tuition is $6k for 3 months or $24k per year.

That's a cool article and thanks for providing it der Spieler. I was ready to try and convince my son until I saw the tuition, although the course content appeals more than the artsy stuff at univ.

Re: Before anyone rushs...

I don't know if the tuition costs are out of line of not. My nephew graduated from UTI near Chicago about 10 years ago. I think it cost him in the $16k to $17k range for the one year course. He's an ASE Master Certified diesel mechanic now and making good money. I'm sure UTI's tuition costs have risen considerably in the last ten years so they could be approaching or even have passed HRI's prices. I would look to see if any student loans can be had for HRI.

GAB pointed out the dearth of jobs in the street rod industry but I don't see that as a real problem. Maybe a big speed bump. Students graduating from the courses offered by HRI are still learning to be mechanics and panel beaters so there should be job opportunities in non-street rod related shops until something better comes along. The bonus for the potential employer would be the graduate's training and experience in building street rods on his/her resume that could take "Joe's Autobody" to a new level. There is potential for a win-win deal here.

I'll start to receiving Social Security in a few months and as I look back over the years I've had a pretty good life but there have been opportunities missed and roads not taken because I was afraid to take risks. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to say that if I had it to do over I would make the leap. I'm envious of all of the options and opportunities available to today's kids. Before dreams get put on the shelf the feasibility of seeing them to fruition should be thoroughly investigated. Someone has to replace Foose and Trepanier.

There I go rambling again. Sorry. Steve

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back