Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Drag Racing

Shawn F.

How many of you drag your T buckets? If so then how do they do at high speed. What kind of suspension, rear end and motor/tranny combo do you run?
I'd like to do a 40's style T mostly but then thinking about a 27 with a 60's style look to it and cheater slicks but would be fun at the strip.

It doesn't take to much motor to make a t fast enough to need roll cages, 5 point harness and at least a fire jacket. If you want to do much racing a full on race car may suit your needs better. The most bang for the buck is a good street car and a LOT of cruzin' buddies. I could have a REAL nice car with what I spent on my 600 cu.in. rear engine dragster!

Most drag strips require roll bars or cages in T-buckets. It's an insurance thing.

der Spieler said:
Most drag strips require roll bars or cages in T-buckets. It's an insurance thing.

Here in North Texas you can run down the 1/8th mile track on Test and Tune night and not need a roll bar or cage. However if you plan on racing bracket or heads up then you need an NHRA or IHRA approved roll cage and all required saftey devices for your class.

It's alot more fun to cruise the streets and smoke the tuner cars the kids are driving. There's no replacement for displacement.

GT63 said:
Here in North Texas you can run down the 1/8th mile track on Test and Tune night and not need a roll bar or cage. However if you plan on racing bracket or heads up then you need an NHRA or IHRA approved roll cage and all required saftey devices for your class.

I think the rules here are the same. I don't know if they have test and tune nights here but they used to have a car show every September and would let participants make a pass or two.

It's alot more fun to cruise the streets and smoke the tuner cars the kids are driving. There's no replacement for displacement.

Yeah. I liked seeing the cops spill their coffee when I turned the tires over.

At Kansas City International Raceway you can run the 1/8th with a helmet, jacket and seatbelts (lap belts are OK). No roll-bar required up to 120 mph, I think.

I race my bucket over the quarter (best 10.2 @ 132) and occasionally over the eighth (6.5 seconds)

I have a 6 point cage, a race harness, full race suit, gloves, boots, arm restraints, neck brace and crash hat.

I own a residential facility for people who have suffered a traumatic brain injury, so safety is important to me.

Car runs a very streetable blown big block chev, and glide with 3000stall. I run M/Ts on the street and Hoosier QT pros at the track. I dont run a transbrake or stuff like that and leave the line pretty much at idle.

My 60ft times suck - have never gone under 1.65 but the car hauls in the second half of the track. Which is why I prefer the quarter to the eighth.

On my firstever run down the quarter I lifted just before the finish and observed what happened when the car slowed down and braked late.

Car handled great so gave it a bigger bootful the next time and nearly hit the guardrail. So thats why I always leave the line at idle now

Thanks for the info and comments guys. I should have been more specific sorry but I DID mean drag at the test and tune nights where all the rules of having a cage and specific safety standards are not needed. I dont plan to build one just for the strip, mostly a cruiser with either a 40's or 60's style and take it to the strip here and there to have some fun. I have been in some 30's coupes and from what I know on these is that off the line they are all over the place and at top speeds they got wobbly. Now this is mostly due to the power to weight ratio and also poorly set up suspension.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back