Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Dragmaster Tube Chassis - "Streetster"

I'm trying to visualize someone operating the clutch pedal with that super short column. left leg through the spokes perhaps. :rolleyes: It is a VERY cool looking car however.

Russ

Now there's me thinking all bucket drivers were double jointed. Huh... go figure
gerry

I just posted 4 pictures, in my album, of the car as it was when I found it in a garage. Note the Brass Radiator and tinny wires up front with Airhart disc brakes. Saturday, I will get some pictures of the round frame.

VegasBruce, thanks for the welcome!

Say, isn't that the T that had the 302 in it that was returned to its original Camaro? The whole story was in the H.A.M.B.

John

John, tell me more and can you direct me to the link you are refering too! I have really been trying to find some history on this car and you may be on to something. I was told that the car had a SBC out of a Camero and that the Camero owner wanted the matching number motor back in his ride. The Camero guy buys another motor from Sarasota or gives the Guy that I bought it from, the money to replace the motor. I have been to H.A.M.B. but did not find anything about this car. I had no idea that it had a 302 in it because right now I think it has a 350 with a 2 speed powerglide. I will check the numbers on the block. I just sold a beautiful little 283 with Camel Hump heads that would have been perfect in this car. Any info you could pass on would be very helpfull! Thanks.

Nice bucket Flatsman. I've seen this car there also, but I can't seem find it now.

O.K., here we go. After a lot of research I have found some threads of interest from the HAMB. I will list the threads first and then ask questions later.

First are the threads

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...andhighlight=302
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471965
http://www,jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477791
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501891

James427's last thread showed it being sold and what the price was. At this time I won't divulge the selling price (one only needs to go to the HAMB and do some research on James427) but I would like to know in what condition was the car when you purchased it? It seemed to be a VERY reasonable price.

Hope the above info works and helps in the resto, John

P.S. Just tried the 302 & 477791 threads and they no workee. anyway, if you are a HAMB member, simply go to the HAMB site, do a search under James427 and do some reading. Are you James427? People often change names from site to site. Also the pictures you sent in are originally from James427. What does the car look like now?

The 477791 thread is a valid addy, the intranet is just bein' cranky. :smashpc: Anywho do the HAMB search waltz and look for anything concerning James427 in the year of 2010. Interesting reading.

John

Thanks for all of your hard work John. I am going to be joining H.A.M.B. soon. That is the car that I bought and the pictures that I posted of it were from James 427's Craigs List ad. I think James got a very good buy on the car and I paid more than what he had in it but did get a Tunnel Ram 2x4 set up in the deal. I would say that the car was pretty rough and needed a lot of TLC but we got it in time and I plan to keep it as original as possible and return it to the 70's. We have cleaned almost all the rust off of the car and I just got the radiator back from the shop and it is almost polished back to its early condition. So far I have put about $1000 into parts but I only know one way to do a car and I really like to try and save the good ones if I can. I read all of the suggestions over on HAMB and agree with most of them. I ordered a Hilborn Air Scoop that should arrive tomorrow. I have pulled the fuel tank and replaced the floor of the bed with custom fit aluminum, which I know is not period correct but it is out of sight and a lot better than rotting plywood. There will be a new fuel system fron the tank to the carbs. The front tie rod is being replaced and the car will be realigned. When the car hits the streets again, it will be a good solid safe T-Bucket. It is my intention to keep this one.

John, tell me more and can you direct me to the link you are refering too! I have really been trying to find some history on this car and you may be on to something. I was told that the car had a SBC out of a Camaro and that the Camaro owner wanted the matching number motor back in his ride. The Camaro guy buys another motor from Sarasota or gives the Guy that I bought it from, the money to replace the motor. I have been to H.A.M.B. but did not find anything about this car. I had no idea that it had a 302 in it because right now I think it has a 350 with a 2 speed powerglide. I will check the numbers on the block. I just sold a beautiful little 283 with Camel Hump heads that would have been perfect in this car. Any info you could pass on would be very helpfull! Thanks.

Just trying to correct my spelling of Camaro.....like I said, I am a Ford Guy! lol

Hey Tantrum , sorry for stomping all over your thread!! I am still interested in any info you come up with on the round tube frames. I will move my stuff off to another thread.

It has been almost a year since I posted on this site but I finally got the T running and drivable. I took it to the shop and put it on my lift and decided to do a complete restoration on it. I thought some of you might be interested in three pictures that I took of the bare frame. I am sure it is not a Dragmaster frame, but it is round tube. Instead of having a double set of tubes running parallel, it has a single with gusets welded underneath for stiffness.

DSC02672.JPG

DSC02671.JPG

DSC02670.JPG

Check out the transmission mount in the last picture! One side is 1/2 inch longer than the other and they are not even close to being parallel to each other. I will be cutting the square stock off the frame and will weld in a new tubular mount. Also, the steering wheel will be moved 1 1/2 inches to the left to make room for the new brake pedal and master cylinder set up.

Here is the new mock up picture after the old tranny mount was cut off. The new mount will be welded to the round frame.

DSC02687.JPG

Something to think about. That Hurst type front motor mount puts a lot of stress and strain on the trans/motor joint. You might want to think about using some side motor mounts. The ones RPM offers wounld be period prefect.

Nice project by the way! Nice to see this one restored to it's former glory.

Ron

Thanks for you input Youngster. I am a Ford motor guy and not really familiar with this side mount from RPM. Do you have a link for this motor mount? Is RPM a vendor on here? Now would be a good time to do it and it would be nice to be able to pull the tranny and have the motor stay solid. I put the motor back in today for some more mock up so this would be the perfect time. Thanks.

Look at the top of the page to the left. Ron's a stand up guy. You won't regret dealing with him.

Ron

Well with a blown Chrysler Hemi I'm guessing he only needed the clutch once to leave from a dead stop!Whit that power his shift pattern could be forward(high) ,neutral,Reverse!

Does anyone have or know of anyone who has a Dragmaster Tube Chassis that was marketed in the 1960's as the "Streetster"? The reason I ask is that I have a "Streetster" that my Dad originally bought from Jim Nelson (Dragmaster) and would like to find out how many exist. I e-mailed the new owner of Dragmaster in CA but he did not reply. I might try to contact Jim Nelson directly to see if he has any records of how many were built.
I'm trying to visualize someone operating the clutch pedal with that super short column. left leg through the spokes perhaps. :rolleyes: It is a VERY cool looking car however.

Russ

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back