Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Dumb paint question

cworld03

O K. ..heres my question, we are going to put black flames on the red manifold.Have any of you guys ever primered your verlocity stacks and painted them?thinking of painting them red with black flames, Thanks Claude

I'm thinking you would have to dechrome the stack before a primer would stick. I would definitely use an etching primer before I painted them. Even an etching primer has to have a surface it can 'bite' to. Chrome would be too slick without some help. You might be able to just scuff up the surface, etch and paint but I don't know how well the paint would stick after a few trips down the road at 75 mph. I think I would just paint the red and try them out for awhile and see how they hold up before going to the trouble of adding the flames. I painted some aluminum valve covers by roughing up the surface a bit and priming them with an etching primer in a spray can. I then painted it with a red acrylic emamel and it came out okay and seemed to hold up fairly well. I was very careful not to ger too close to the paint when I was working on the motor because it appeared a scratch of any kind would do some damage.

Dupli-Color has a paint out now for chrome that is a candy type color no scratching the surface and it comes in different colors it's kinda like a candy and gives the look of Ghost Flames.I think that would look cool to barely see the flames till you were up on it.Just my thoughts on the subject.Don't hold me to Dupli-Color it was on Speed TV one sunday.I think it was Truck-U.

Rick said:
Dupli-Color has a paint out now for chrome that is a candy type color no scratching the surface and it comes in different colors it's kinda like a candy and gives the look of Ghost Flames.......
They also have a clear adhesion promoter I've seen them use. go to http://www.duplicolor.com they have some video to that shows them useing it on chrome.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back