Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Edelbrock 2 carbs and intake manifold

Is Anyone using this manifold and carbs? If so, like/dislike?
I'm fairly certain that there have been several iterations of such. I personally have never owned nor driven any such animal. I think, perhaps, that a more elucidated description may help to render some response.
I wish that I could be of some assistance, otherwise.

Jack

If you don't mind some information about very similar but less specific situations, I'm sure some of these guys could chime in. I know 409-t has multi-carb experience. I'm fairly certain that fletcherson has multi-carb experience. And I can't imagine that long john/ORF does not have.

I had somewhat similar experience for about a month back in my late teen years. I had a Holley tunnel ram with dual Holleys on it. I drove it on the street some and drag raced it some. It seemed to work just fine. However, it was stolen after only about a month of ownership. Never to be recovered. Thusly, I can't really speak to dependability or other concerns. But it did seem to run very well and I had no drivability concerns in that limited time.

Upon consideration, I'm fairly certain I should offer a preemptive apology. I'm new to this forum and I realize I may have committed a faux pas by dropping names. If in fact I have, I offer this heartfelt apology. If someone could advise me thusly, I would appreciate it and could avoid any further such stumbles.

You are family here. Someone would need very thin skin to be offended by being called out here! As a netter of fact I did have a 409 with 3-2’s in a ‘55 Chevy back in ‘65-68! I loved it!

Should have been more specific. 427 BBC with original tri-power chevy intake manifold and carbs. Tired of leaky carbs. Thought the new Edelbrock dual quad manifold and carbs might be the answer.

Upon consideration, I'm fairly certain I should offer a preemptive apology. I'm new to this forum and I realize I may have committed a faux pas by dropping names. If in fact I have, I offer this heartfelt apology. If someone could advise me thusly, I would appreciate it and could avoid any further such stumbles.
That’s it, one strike and your out! Lol... isn’t that the current state of our society? I don’t see any harm caused. Anyways, I have had tri power and dual quad setups on v8’s and other multiple carbs on imports, bikes, etc. Of the v8’s, the tri power were by far the easiest to tune and drive, basically due to only having one carb with idle circuit and the ability to stagger the linkage. Pretty simple setup. Any time you add pieces, you add possible problems, so research and proper initial setup will pay big dividends. If you want smooth, relatively problem free daily driver performance, go with a quality single carb and a dual plane intake. If you like to tune, tinker, and want higher performance, go for it. The higher the rise and the larger the cam duration, the higher rpm... in general, you need to choose every part to work together.... cam, converter, rear end, intake, carbs, etc. it’s hard to give a good answer to a vague question, no offense. Short answer: properly set up for the right circumstances, they can be great. If you just toss on a tunnel and dual quads, probably not going to be what you want. There are some nice low rise dual quad setups too. I had one with two Carter afb carbs that was pretty simple and problem free. Also, unless you are very good with carbs, don’t try to piece mill a set together. Find a matched pair designed to run together, in good shape. More carburation doesn’t necessarily equate to better performance. Again, seriously plan your build. It will save a lot of grief. If you dig a bit, you can find deals on complete setups used.... just be selective about what you want, not just the deal. I picked a nice complete Edelbrock/Holley sbc setup for 4 bones a few years back with matched 450 carbs, linkage, lines, air filters, etc. like new, been on a shelf for years.

Should have been more specific. 427 BBC with original tri-power chevy intake manifold and carbs. Tired of leaky carbs. Thought the new Edelbrock dual quad manifold and carbs might be the answer.
sorry, I just replied to another’s post then saw this more specific post. As to your specific situation, a original 427 tri power is pretty nice. I would prefer it to aftermarket. Either rebuild or have your carbs rebuilt. I guess not knowing the specifics of your issues makes it hard to say. Everything on those carbs can be repaired... throttle shafts, etc. “Mikes carbs” is one source for quality pieces and parts, I’m sure there are others. Where do they leak? Are they otherwise functional and perform well?

I agree with @fletcherson in that the best bet is probably a quality single carb and a dual plane intake. That said, for 10 years I had 6 deuces on my 409 with no problem. I recently switched to aluminum heads and had to change intake manifolds to fit the new head ports, so now I have dual quads. Either way works just fine. I also have 2 327's with tunnel rams and dual quads, the one with a Weiand manifold always runs a little bit rich and stumbles a little bit off idle. The other is a "Street Tunnel Ram" which does not have a common plenum and therefore each carb feeds 4 cylinders independently. That one runs very well, and without any of the hesitation that is common to big plenum manifolds when coming off idle. At 700 rpm you can just stick your foot in it and go. If money were no object and a person really wanted a tunnel ram I would recommend that setup. It comes with QuickFuel carbs but you need to see the price while sitting down.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back