Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel System and AN Fittings

Indycars

On the topic of an fittings, what is the general consensus on using them for fuel lines on carbs? I like them except for the bulk. When I bought my t project, the guy had purchased a matching pair of new carbs, distributor, etc, and all an fittings, stainless lines, etc. it just looked overpowering to me. I always liked to make hard lines for such applications... somewhat for cost reduction, mainly just out of habit. To me, simplicity and minimization of such accessories was appealing. I think they will work well for the coolant lines. I mean no offense to anyone either way, just polling for opinions.

My entire fuel system uses AN fittings, including the return line. Using SS lines makes it harder to make a good seal, but it's not that hard. All hard lines are SS, except for the two short 3/8" lines going to the carburetor.

The complete system is documented at the link below.
Component Selection & Design for 500 HP Fuel System

FP10_03526a.jpg
upload_2023-9-15_10-47-42.jpeg

upload_2023-9-15_10-48-26.jpeg

How do you like your Demon carburetor? I just had to rebuild my Road Demon (after 7 years). Inlet valve(s) went bad probably because of the gasohol fuel. Caused it to dump fuel, flooding out the engine. Other than that it has performed very well.

6 Engine.jpg

Last edited:
I like my "Speed Demon", it's served me well!!!

I wanted something different than a Holley and they had just come back from their quality problems when I purchased mine in December 2012 for $420 They were a ISO 9001 shop now.

But the carb never made it on the engine in it's stock form. I took a brand new carb, then drilled and tapped about 24 passages in the carb and made it considerably more adjustable. After drilling and tapping the passages, I then made my own jets to screw into those passages by drilling 6-32, 8-32 or 10-32 brass set screws. Before drilling I mapped out the size of all the passages

FP02_SecondaryMeteringBlockSizes_5710.jpg
FP03_SemiComplete_5747.jpg
FP04_DrillBrassSetScrew02_5756.jpg
FP04_DrillMainBodyAirBleeds_5750.jpg
FP03_DetermineAngleToDrill_5743.jpg

Impressive! I'm lucky if I can get the 4-corner idle bleeds adjusted properly. Nice work, Rick.

My entire fuel system uses AN fittings, including the return line. Using SS lines makes it harder to make a good seal, but it's not that hard. All hard lines are SS, except for the two short 3/8" lines going to the carburetor.

The complete system is documented at the link below.
Component Selection & Design for 500 HP Fuel System

View attachment 24405
View attachment 24406

View attachment 24407
Looks good! Whoever did mine used ss braided hose and an fittings from the pump to the regulator to the fuel block to both fuel bowls on both carbs on the tunnel ram. It must have been quite pricey when he bought both carbs and all of those fittings... not sure where his head was. It worked, but there was so much stuff. That was what I disliked about it. I’ll re use some of it, but will definitely clean it up and minimize the bulk on the finished product. I don’t have any pics on this device or you would understand. I’m really hoping to get my head back into it and resume completion soon. It’s been on ice for a while. Life got complicated for a while here.

Impressive! I'm lucky if I can get the 4-corner idle bleeds adjusted properly. Nice work, Rick.
Thank you Spanky!!!

I have an AEM AQ-1 for tuning that takes some of the guess work out it.

FP01_AQ1InstalledAndWired_6160.jpg
Log_2014-10-25_1523.jpg

Looks good! Whoever did mine used ss braided hose and an fittings from the pump to the regulator to the fuel block to both fuel bowls on both carbs on the tunnel ram
I had a SS line from the pump to the gas tank (Beer Keg) ...... it was like giving the electric pump a megaphone!!:( It wasn't long before I changed it to a braided nylon hose with SS weave internal to rubber in the hose.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...size/minus-16-an?N=hose-length-ft:10-00_15-00

upload_2023-9-17_11-1-18.png

It worked, but there was so much stuff. That was what I disliked about it.

Was it the AN fittings or was it how he used the AN fittings???

I had a SS line from the pump to the gas tank (Beer Keg) ...... it was like giving the electric pump a megaphone!!:( It wasn't long before I changed it to a braided nylon hose with SS weave internal to rubber in the hose.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/an-hose/brand/summit-racing/fluid-type/engine-coolant/hose-size/minus-16-an?N=hose-length-ft:10-00_15-00

View attachment 24417

Was it the AN fittings or was it how he used the AN fittings???
It was just so many fittings, big, bulky, different colors. It just looked wrong. I like to minimize such things, not make them center of attention. The guy obviously dumped aver a grand into a pair of carbs, fuel system, and ignition stuff but I’m not sure if he had a plan or just threw parts on it. One of the many things I’ve changed. And he gave me the old carbs which were like new, but from back in the day... they still have the ink printed list numbers on the air horns that are 426 cross ram carbs. I’m not sure why he changed them other than not wanting to go through and re gasket them.

Gotcha!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back