Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Electric motors help

Thanks George

No problem Ron. One other thing I meant to say. You can always pull another line off of one or two legs of your 3 PH motor to run 220 1PH or 120 1PH motors such as a welder or drill press. This allows you to have power outlets where ever your saw is without adding additional wiring. You can also parallel a 3PH line from your saw to a second 3PH machine in the future. There are online calculators that you put motor amp draw and distance from the main power box that will give you wire size. Just make the distance to the farthermost point you would add that second machine and wire for that. Only run your power line to the saw. If you ever add a second machine then you can just add on the extra wire. Be sure and add a second motor amp rating when you calculate for the longer distance so you will be covered the full length. Helps out on wiring cost after any inspectors or electricians have left the building. Arkansas and Texas pretty well leaves you alone once the meter base and main breaker box is set. I installed a disconnect box outside at the meter base. They ran the wire and told me when I had the breaker box inside mounted to call them an they would come out and plug the meter in. They never looked inside. Good luck and keep your fingers clear of hot areas!

George

Hahaha....I made a post here....guess it got sucked off into that parallel universe. I have a saw like that Ron, running a rotary phase converter on it. Whichever you pick, just be sure to give it plenty of headroom on the electric motor size when picking one. Ours has the blade motor, motor for the hydraulics to lift the arm, autofeed, clamp-up, one for the coolant pump, plus the current to the controller.
I just figured up size for a motor on the blade, arm riser, feed, clamp up....had the electrician doublecheck me....suprisingly, we hit the same mark.

I probably made that other post the other night when I was 1/2 asleep and running outta caffeine in my system after my flight and travel back....

I had thought about 3 phase, but it would've cost a small fortune to have it setup at the shop in Oklahoma....so I went rotary phase converter. The 3 phase is alot stronger, as George said, gives you the added benefit of legging off 1 side to get 110 for other things and 220....
Big commercial plants benefit from 3 phase, smaller co's with lighter duty machines can run the converters....just my 2 pecos....

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back