Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine oil and supplement?

What are all of you with flat tappet cams running for oil? Are you running a zinc supplement? I found Royal Purple Racing oil that has the zinc in it. It is only $9.00 a quart.

After looking at the research info I have come to the conclusion to use the Valvoline VR1, it contains 75 to 80% more zinc than most other conventional and synthetic oils, Mobil 1 is not formulated for flat tappets, and Amsoil and Joe Gibbs racing oils are good but are not readily available like the Valvoline, they have it at Autozone, O'Reily, and Advance so if you ever need some it can be gotten easily. They do make 2 different styles, one is full synthetic in the black bottle and one is a conventional crude oil based in the silver bottle. Might be higher than normal oil but how many times do you change per year, and is it enough to warrant what a new engine or rebuild will cost? You can use regular oil and the zinc additive but it is $12-15 for one small bottle of it and that is the difference in cost almost and I trust buying an oil with it already formulated in it better than hoping it mixes correctly with the oil you choose.....

After looking at the research info I have come to the conclusion to use the Valvoline VR1, it contains 75 to 80% more zinc than most other conventional and synthetic oils, Mobil 1 is not formulated for flat tappets, and Amsoil and Joe Gibbs racing oils are good but are not readily available like the Valvoline, they have it at Autozone, O'Reily, and Advance so if you ever need some it can be gotten easily. They do make 2 different styles, one is full synthetic in the black bottle and one is a conventional crude oil based in the silver bottle. Might be higher than normal oil but how many times do you change per year, and is it enough to warrant what a new engine or rebuild will cost? You can use regular oil and the zinc additive but it is $12-15 for one small bottle of it and that is the difference in cost almost and I trust buying an oil with it already formulated in it better than hoping it mixes correctly with the oil you choose.....
I went to Valvoline Race 20-50.It has all the additives zinc,etc.Regular price is $8.29 per qrt.on sale at O'reillys for 2.99 a qrt.

You are right about using a FULL roller engine, every bearing in the engine, and have them all dry lubed also, that would solve the friction problem, now you could run a very this cooling fluid, but it all just boils down to GREEN stuff, and if you had enough of that GREEN stuff, there would not be any problem with any of this... Yes for sure I am going to run a totally STOCK engine and exhaust system... Then make the great cover-up, to make the engine LOOK like a wild thing, driving down the street, no one will be the wiser, and any stock engine will haul the mail in any light weight T Bucket or Roadster... Now, if you have a hood, that makes for a cheap and very easy car to build, compared to an open engine.

A very good friend of mine works at the aero space labs in Oak Ridge TN. It is the home of the nuclear bomb. Any way the also run Top Sportsman and Pro Mod. They have been playing with air for a lubricant in their Lenco. Theory is if you run enough air pressure on the bearings and keep them cool or metal never touches metal it won't seize or gall. He said they have found a lot of HP to be gained with this and they are continuing to work on it.

I know all the speedway type cars used to get all their gears ands bearings in the WHOLE car and chassis and wheel bearings, everything dry lubed, you can give one of those cars a shove on level ground and they will roll forever it seems, nothing trying to slow it down, heavy wheel bearing grease or heavy gear oil slows down a car a lot more than you would ever think.. Just think of the gain inside an engine... That air idea sounds great, wonder how they keep that much air pressure up?

I know all the speedway type cars used to get all their gears ands bearings in the WHOLE car and chassis and wheel bearings, everything dry lubed, you can give one of those cars a shove on level ground and they will roll forever it seems, nothing trying to slow it down, heavy wheel bearing grease or heavy gear oil slows down a car a lot more than you would ever think.. Just think of the gain inside an engine... That air idea sounds great, wonder how they keep that much air pressure up?

So far it has all been done in the lab, so air pressure is not a problem. You are right about the dry lube, we used to have pistons done and even valve stems done.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back