Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

English Wheel Build

It would be like a cam. The hole would be drilled off center and when it is turned it will tighten or loosen depending on the position of the disk.

no need to be sorry ... we're all here to help! this is a very cool project. can't wait to see it in action!

Ron

You and me both!! I have a buddy that has a 30 Model A sedan that is in BAD shape and I almost want to start on it first so I can "practice" on his before I do mine haha

haha well I just finished up drawing up the A Frame Model in CAD. All I need to do now is cut it out on the CNC machine and weld it together. I thought about doing a frame for the T bucket, and I still may because I can make it stiffer. I guess one thing that is cool is I can build just about anything I want, tubular control arms etc. I remember years ago on cool projects like that I would stop because I couldn't build it how I wanted to. Its just kinda cool that how I can so really the sky is my limit.

I am a weak weak man....

The one Modeal A frame rails needing to be welded together.

PDR_0971.jpg

PDR_0973.jpg

Yea I'll get there one day. Right now I have to get all my online orders done ha! Also all the local orders as well. Lets see I have, 5880 more inches to tig weld!! I love tig welding! :cool:

Are you tig welding that Model A frame??

Ron

Yes that was the plan. I will most likely MIG the inside braces because it will be hard to TIG them. Everything is at stand still until I get this currect job finished. I normally don't do this kind of work but someone is paying me to TIG weld a much of stainless steel gutters together. Something about they had 4 different "TIG" welders try and it didn't work out for them. They came to my shop with some sample pieces then had to get them X-Rayed.... I guess I passed because now I have 5880 inches to weld! HAHA

that's pretty ambitious to tig all that. i have trouble with warpage tigging that much. i've found setting a .020 gap and skip welding with a mig 1"every 4" to work much better and quicker. less heat and less warpage. What angle are you settin the break in the rail at?

Ron

You are right, but most likely what will happen, is I'll tig part of it, 8 hours later I'll see that all I got done is 2 foot, not really being dramatic here, and switch to MIG. I can normally keep warping down pretty good by keeping a constant heat and not doing a lot of stop/starts. The angle you are asking about i assume is where it angles up in the back?

The angle is 3.11 or 176.89 depending on how you look at it.

I layout 1" incruments, them niumber tem 1, 2, 3, and 4. Then weld the #1's starting in the middle and work my way toward the ends like torquing a head, top, top bottom, bottom. Kinda working in a circle. Then the 2's and so foreth.

The angle i was talking about is just in front of the stock center cross member. The rails kick out about 4 degrees here. This is where i make a joint in the side rail. I can get the measurements if you need them.

About 4" forward of the rear cross member i straighten the side rail out so it joins the cross member at a 90 degree angle except if the car is going to run stock bumpers.

Lots to consider. Let me know if i can help.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back