Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Everything you ever wanted to know about rubber

Very cool and some great charts.
Some people forget that not all rubbers are the same.
I once made a gasket for a glass gasoline filter with an old inner tube... catastrophic failure. (I now keep a small sheet of special rubber for just such projects....)
Lots of people have no idea why they have to use special rubber in things like brake cylinders and carburetors.

I love your signature line .... you must have a few years experience with life to come up with that ! :roflmao::)

I love your signature line .... you must have a few years experience with life to come up with that ! :roflmao::)
Yes... I consider myself a lifetime alumnus of the "School of hard knocks"

Viton on is one of the best for many
(not all) applications. Good for most anything you would encounter in a T Bucket.
Yes... I think that may be what I have, for use where high petroleum resistance as the most critical element.
As a for instance, I love using "The Right Stuff" as an alternative to gaskets (screw the purists and haters...) but that compound turns to goo if you get ANY gas on it.
It's so weird...Totally doesn't care about oil, but gasoline changes the chemical structure back to gum.
I was always fascinated by what brake fluid does to natural rubber as well... learned a few lessons there along the way...

Yes... I think that may be what I have, for use where high petroleum resistance as the most critical element.
As a for instance, I love using "The Right Stuff" as an alternative to gaskets (screw the purists and haters...) but that compound turns to goo if you get ANY gas on it.
It's so weird...Totally doesn't care about oil, but gasoline changes the chemical structure back to gum.
I was always fascinated by what brake fluid does to natural rubber as well... learned a few lessons there along the way...
Back when my shop was open, I had a customer who put transmission fluid in a master cylinder because a brake line let loose and it was all he had with him(cube van). I had to replace every soft part in the system. Every rubber part expanded and was literally bulging out of where it belonged. Never seen anything like it. He was as unhappy with the bill as I was with his ingenuity, lol!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back