Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Failing Floor

Tfitch03

I am doing a little project on my Total Performance body. I don’t know how anyone else has their body mounted but mine is perched on 4 aluminum pucks (1 at each corner/mount). They are there for clearance. Now for the problem: over time my floor has begun to crack at the mounting locations. This is due to the large amount of stress and weight placed at those 4 small points.

I have the body off to fix the broken wood and I am going to go back with 5/8” stringers or runners (however you want to look at it) that run the full distance between the forward and rear mounting bolts and will rest on the chassis. I am hoping this will spread the load out along a great area, still provide the clearance required, and solve any future issues with my floor cracking.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or done a mod similar to this one? It has been the only flaw in their design I have come across.

Rather than running stringers [5/8 isn't going to support much] I'd cut some 6" square pieces of 1/8 " steel to spread the load... you could glass them in if you like.. my $.02 worth.

dave

Interestingly enough...we did that a few years ago and still didn't quite work. The 5/8" is the height of the mount plus aluminum spacer. It is slightly wider than the chassis rail. I am constructing tonight and will post pics tomorrow.

May be able to see my steel plates in this pic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363278265.542805.jpg

Personally, I don't like having only four mounts especially if the floor is not in complete contact with the frame rail for good floor support. My car has five down each side that bolt directly to the top of the frame rail. I know that this is probably considered overkill but I'll never have to worry about cracking or flexing etc. IMHO

Jim

Man , that must be a thin floor ! Well , if you've got 5/8 spacer ,maybe you could use 6x6x5/8 aluminum plate ?
dave

Yeah Ex J, I am pro contact points.

2o2f: it is a very thin floor. Especially on the passenger side where the battery cut out and the emergency brake cut out come together. Those to big holes take out a lot of needed support. I am kinda surprised I am the only TP body experiencing this. Are they still building them this way? I only have maybe 10k miles on it.

I dont want to sound to negative on the kit, besides that it has been great.

I like that idea. My only concern is clearance issues with a few things. That is certainly an option.

If there is clearance for angle instead of flat stock, you will get a lot more support. Even if you have to notch the angle in places it would be better.

Personally, I don't like having only four mounts especially if the floor is not in complete contact with the frame rail for good floor support. My car has five down each side that bolt directly to the top of the frame rail. I know that this is probably considered overkill but I'll never have to worry about cracking or flexing etc. IMHO

Jim
I agree. I have 10 total mounts and like Jim, i want as much contact with the rails and cross rails.

The winner is....everyone else but me. Went with 3/4 in ply wood across 90% of the floor. It is rock solid now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363312119.205298.jpg

That will definitely help. Was the original floor 5/8" or 3/4"?

We just made the floor pattern for our current 23 build last nite. Went with the 3/4 as well. Should cut and glass in on Sat morn.

Original was 1/4"!!!!!! You are doing the right thing with thick wood and glassing it. You should be good to go. I wish I had done this years ago.

IMG_0745.jpg

here is a pic of Ex junks body mount. think about doing something like this if ever in accident you want body to stay on frame. attach body very well have seen some seatbelts anchored to frame if body comes off seatbelt cuts into body real easy. just a safety thing.

IMG_0745.jpg

here is a pic of Ex junks body mount. think about doing something like this if ever in accident you want body to stay on frame. attach body very well have seen some seatbelts anchored to frame if body comes off seatbelt cuts into body real easy. just a safety thing.
I like that, and I'm definitely into overkill. I will have at least 8 mounting points...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back