Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fillerto tank cut template

Your kidding Fold a piece of paper in half draw half the circle on it ,cut it out then lay the fold over the tank line and mark cut then have a cold one and bask in your owne glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your kidding Fold a piece of paper in half draw half the circle on it ,cut it out then lay the fold over the tank line and mark cut then have a cold one and bask in your owne glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah, if it were that simple. The problem is the taper of the filler tube. OR, you will have to cut a valley in the bottom of the filler tube that corresponds to the peak of the sheet metal with the entry hole slightly smaller. Please refer to my entry in panel #20.

Went to bed last night and there was a couple of posts. Logged on this a.m. and boy, you guys have been busy.
John is right. Its the taper that the problem. I wanted a really good cut to keep the weld to minimum, really neat and small. I just thought someone would remember the old drawing technique of development and refresh my memory. As far as hole saws go, I bow to your experience. I must have bought too cheaply and thats why I have had problems with them. Not sure its worth the investment of a good quality one just for one hole; and like everyone money is tight over here.

So it look like a bit of slow and sure cutting, bit by bit.

As for the 18 years thing. T spent 12 of those in storage due to career, family etc etc with only small bits here and there being done. So I suppose its only a 6 year build in reality, racy Eh?

Thanks for the offer of the CAD drawings. I will get back to you with dimensions. The filler tube is with a friend being screw cut for the Brass cap so I cant measure it at the moment.

Now this is what a forum is all about. So many answers, all with merits of their own Thanks guys and i will be posting pics as soon as I have finished the next steps. By the way the tube will be the first thing to do, which means with no end on the tank swarf will not be a problem. Next will be the boss for the sender unit. All the cutting that might introduce swarf in to the tank will be finished before the ends are welded on. That way I can clean it all out and reduce the chance of contamination.

Gerry

Like you Gerry I saw no reason to by a complete set of quality hole saws. You can just purchas them separatly tho. The arbors are also available individually.

Ron

Like you Gerry I saw no reason to by a complete set of quality hole saws. You can just purchas them separatly tho. The arbors are also available individually.

Ron

Thanks Ron but too late. The old chain drilling and file did the job so far. Now its careful removal to get the filler tube to fit.
G

John has nailed it, Gerry has presented a problem with no solution. Since it can't be done to a precise fit due to the neck not fitting through the hole from inside the tank (due to the larger portion of the neck), nor from the outside (due to the taper), he will have to compromise a bit, and if he wants to retain the taper, he'll have to fill a bit of gap with weld. So, since the hole is a bit sloppy anyway, just cut it with a hole saw, slobber it up with weld and grind it down smooth. Gerry, if you still want a precise mark, you could do it photographically, with a light through a tiny hole to create the proper taperred light beam, and photo resist on the metal. How many more years did you say you have to get this done?

Don't want to beat this to death, but if you V cut he bottom of the filler neck to match the tank.then set it on said tank, trace around filler ,cut hole in tank1/8 " smaller . don,t you come out w/the same visual ? just askin'

dave

Don't want to beat this to death, but if you V cut he bottom of the filler neck to match the tank.then set it on said tank, trace around filler ,cut hole in tank1/8 " smaller . don,t you come out w/the same visual ? just askin'

dave

think thats probably the way i will go at it. Just need to be careful, its all tooo easy to overcut the filler tube. Done it before.
Gerry

Gerry, you go a small plasma cutter? Yea....I know....you did the wagon train thing with the driller holes and all....and your gonna finish it out with a sanding drum or a burr....if you pick up a plasma....you could have it whooped out in about 30 seconds.
Took me years to make the plunge to plasma.....now I'm lost without it....

Gerry, old friend, let me ask you....why in tarnation is that doo-dad tapered on the bottom???? Maybe I'm getting too old and all.... figured you might tell me the 'angle of the dangle' story that some machinists kinda admire(theres a bunch-o-folks in the NHRA that'd wish I'd go find a mountain top to go live on).

This is me... I wish I'd find a mountain top to go live on.. then there would be only my problems to worry about... fit the top filler part, mark it as you did and hand cut the hole as you are doing, best way,, as a hole saw for this cut would have to be a waaay deeeeep cutter to clear that V only sticking up inside that cutter... Why do you have a taper inside anyway??? I see the taper outside, needed for the right look, but not the inside? :)

Ted, I really enjoy living out there on about 200 acres, way out in the middle of no-where. When the revolution starts..I'll be out here listening to the coyotes howlin' at night! Ha! I live on top of a mountain....its only about 500 foot high....but its high....whenever you walk up to the dropoff and look over the edge! (I'm scared of heights!)
Yep, that angle on the outside of that 'filler neck', get it to where it fits good at the bottom, the thing would have a gap at the top....if I were TIG'ing it up, you'd have to feather it with such a big gap....but hey, it'd be stronger that any tank around....
Gerry, hows your sending unit gonna fit in there?

Wish I had a plasma cutter. Problem in the UK is the gas bottles, I priced up a small 3' 0'' high one for my TIG not so long ago. You have to contract to a gas company and the hire for a small bottle is around 400 bucks a year. On top of that you have the fill cost. So getting a plasma is not a problem, the gas is.
Reason I tapered the inside was to get a wall thickness the same as the sheet I am welding it to. If I left the inside straight I would be welding a thickness of about 3/8 to a 2mm sheet. As far as the sender unit, take a look at the Fuel tank thread. Theres pic there of it in place.
Reason the bottom is not straight is because with the angle its sitting on I thought it would look wrong to be tapered at the top and then straight when it gets to the tank.
Gerry

Wish I had a plasma cutter. Problem in the UK is the gas bottles, I priced up a small 3' 0'' high one for my TIG not so long ago. You have to contract to a gas company and the hire for a small bottle is around 400 bucks a year. On top of that you have the fill cost. So getting a plasma is not a problem, the gas is.
Reason I tapered the inside was to get a wall thickness the same as the sheet I am welding it to. If I left the inside straight I would be welding a thickness of about 3/8 to a 2mm sheet. As far as the sender unit, take a look at the Fuel tank thread. Theres pic there of it in place.
Reason the bottom is not straight is because with the angle its sitting on I thought it would look wrong to be tapered at the top and then straight when it gets to the tank.
Gerry

Gerry the great thing about plasma is there is NO bottle to mess with. It runs on just compressed air from your compressor. It has to be clean dry air, and you need some traps and filters to get the air dry enough so it won't short out the tips and nozzles, but NO bottles.

Gerry the great thing about plasma is there is NO bottle to mess with. It runs on just compressed air from your compressor. It has to be clean dry air, and you need some traps and filters to get the air dry enough so it won't short out the tips and nozzles, but NO bottles.

Cool. I got a 14cmf comp so I ll have a look at the prices
Gerry

Let's get'er done. fire up the gas wrench and blow a hole in sheet metal....

Sure, using the torch isn't gunna make a round hole or a good fit but it's nothing three or four tubes of silicone won't take care of. Do they make silicone in that shade of yellow?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back