Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Finally getting off to a good start on my dream

It's a standard frame built by Spirit that I found on CL. I had to lengthen it so it would fit Spirit's extended body.

I finally got the engine back from the machine shop. Fresh rebuilt 351W all new innards except the crank and rods. Complete new valve train from Comp with roller rockers. Fresh rebuilt C4.
I'm wondering what might be the best break in oil to use when it comes time to fire it up. I'm sure you all have good suggestions. Thanks for the help

I use Brad Penn break-in oil.

Nice work. Haven't been on the sight for awhile. Always nice to open it up and find a new build. Thanks for sharing and the pictures you post are well worth the effort. Keep them coming.

Making a little progress. I am still mocking everything up and have the radiator, front shock towers, light stands and front end all put in place. I had to move that radiator tabs forward about an inch to clear the water pump on the 351. I moved the rear panhard bracket out of the kick area and fabricated a bracket that bolts to the 8" diff. Trying to make some room in the kick area, hoping to build a fuel tank that will take advantage of that added space for a couple more gallons in the tank. The shocks will bottom out before the panhard contacts the 3rd member so I don't think it's gonna be a problem. (at least that is what I'm hoping for). I may build a bump stop between the frame rails over the center of the axle housing just for some insurance to keep it out of the fuel tank if something goes wrong on the road. Bent up all the brake lines and secured them under the frame rails. Drilled holes for the wiring that will go inside the frame. Made up a rear "bumper" that will be where I am toying with the idea of some '59 Caddy tail lights and license plate. The rectangular tubing will be tucked under the back of the bed with the round tube ovals chromed up and tucked against the back of the bed.
The next step is gonna be set the body on and bolt it down so I can start working up the steering column. I'm a little worried about clearance around the bell housing for some steering u-joints. I may have to move the vega box a little bit outboard to make it clear.
I'm open to comments and suggestions.

Nice group of pictures. They give you detail you can study and think about. Keep up the good work. Your workmanship is excellent.

Thank you Dan!
What do you plan on for an engine and transmission combo? I will be using a chevy 454 with a manual tranny. If you look at the picture that goes with my name you will see the headers I like. I want to use a dual quad setup with a semi lumpy cam. I want to keep it fairly easy to drive. Also where are you located? I am just north of Fresno, CA

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back