Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fitting Kingpins Questions

Island Girl

As most of you all know, I ordered a new front end kit in polished stainless steel . . . Spring-Behind 4 In Drop Tube Axle Front End for Ford Spindles
as the chrome on the original one is gone to hell in the 2 1/2 years I've been working on the car. This tropical environment can be incredibly destructive..

I'm wondering about what I'll be having to do once it gets here, it's on back order . . . of course, isn't everything

Anyway, are my current king pins fitted to my spindles, the axle, or both . . . . Will I need to maybe hone / ream the axle?

are my current king pins fitted to my spindles, the axle, or both . . . . Will I need to maybe hone / ream the axle?

Like a lot of things with these cars, it depends on how they fit when you try them. I replaced my driver side spindle (Chevy) last Fall, and definitely had to hone it to get it to fit. It's still pretty tight but no problems to date.

Like a lot of things with these cars, it depends on how they fit when you try them. I replaced my driver side spindle (Chevy) last Fall, and definitely had to hone it to get it to fit. It's still pretty tight but no problems to date.

I expect / hope to be able to just transfer the spindles and kingpins from the current axle to the new one, just trying to see what that's likely going to entail . . . are the kingpins held fast in the axle with a pinch bolt, or do they float in the axle as they do in the spindles?

On mine, there is just a C clip that serves as a "keeper" for the kingpin.

(PS - Thought you might like these pics . . . )

Spirit27.jpg Spirit27a.jpg Spirit27b.jpg Spirit27c.jpg

Last edited:
are the kingpins held fast in the axle with a pinch bolt,
Mine have a pinch bolt (set screw) and the king pins have a flat spot for the bolt to seat on.

Do you have a threaded hole in the axle ?

KingPinSetScrew_02917.jpg

Most tube axles use a set screw. Chevrolet spindles use clips to retain pin. Stock Ford use a tapered pin with a nut retaining that also acts as a steering stop.you will more than likely use the original spindles with no fitment needed. If the kingpin won’t go threw the axle boss a rat tail file will work. The hole may not be round foe welding distortion. A honed fit not necessary.

Last edited:
Most tube axles use a set screw. Chevrolet spindles use clips to retain pin. Stock Ford use a tapered pin with a nut retaining that also acts as a steering stop. You will more than likely use the original spindles with no fitment needed. If the kingpin won’t go threw the axle boss a rat tail file will work. The hole may not be round foe welding distortion. A honed fit not necessary.

I have built 1000s of axles and we have not had any problems with the axle boss distorting from the welds. The king pins just slide into the axle and will lock with a set screw.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back