Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Flathead power

joehazel

I have a 23 T Bucket with a 51 ford 239 bored .060, 3/4 cam, stainless valves, and 2 Holley 94's. It ran well for several months but then carbs began to leak and flood the cylinders. I have rebuilt the carbs 3 times and still have leaks, but cannot tell where from. I replaced the stock power valves with 4.5, and the engine does not flood, but still have leaks. What might have I missed??

joehazel said:
I have a 23 T Bucket with a 51 ford 239 bored .060, 3/4 cam, stainless valves, and 2 Holley 94's. It ran well for several months but then carbs began to leak and flood the cylinders. I have rebuilt the carbs 3 times and still have leaks, but cannot tell where from. I replaced the stock power valves with 4.5, and the engine does not flood, but still have leaks. What might have I missed??

Are you runnng electric fuel pumps? Are you running the 10% ethanol?:cool:

Have you checked your float levels yet? You might have a leak there in the bottom of your floatbowl........are you seeing the fuel seep past your lower carb gaskets? Do you see raw fuel in the bottom of the intake???????

I'd check to make sure that you don't have a float sinking.........take each one out......put it by your ear and shake it.........on some of those carbs......they were bad about that.....though I believe its probably a needle or a floatbowl issue................

I have a 37 flathead with 97's and switched to the new Demon 98's. You might check your fuel pressure and make sure its not to high. I agree that you need to check the float level. The needle and seat might be stuck also. If worse comes to worse you may need to overahul them again.

I used to carry a small ball peen hammer and get out and tap on them when I could smell gas. I have seen a few carbs at swap meets with the hammer marks . that was the easy way to get back home.. My manifold had a square carb base but had the 3 studs. My brother ran 4 carter wcd's on his lakes coupe and told me to switch. .. they are a 4 bolt base... I redrilled to add the 2 studs and rat tail filed the carbs.to fit the ford 2 studs. . Wcd's were used on GM stuff starting with the 2 carb buicks in the 30's up thru the last production of AMC ...they have metering rods adjustable easily from the top with out taking anything apaart, .... a divided float and flow 1 1/2 times as much as a 97. and never caused me any more problems.

Yea, you gotta love the 97's....they'll runtheir ass of and flood like theres no tomorrow in the same breath! Ha! Ask just about any Stromberg owner...............What causes flooding on these carbs:
1. Trash in the seats causing them to leak
2. float level off...(sinking float, leaking seat, etc.)
3. Accelerator pump diaphram messed up
4. carb being held open...(linkage binding up or something bent)
5. Vaccuum leak

Double and triple check these......even bust out the fuel pressure guage....a new fuel pump can get over 8 to 14 lbs.....depending on make......you only need 4 to 6 PSI.........if any higher....get a inexpensive Mr.Gasket Regulator to bring it down, you can pick those up almost anywhere...........

If you have sloppy throttle shafts, everythings all gunked up, and threads are starting to get stripped out.............
Usually the older carbs are getting kinda like this....the good stuff has been pickedthru quite a few times.......even if you can find a autoparts place where you can get them and exchange them. Go ahead and take the plunge and get a couple of newer carbs........:cool:

Thanks to all of you. I will try everything and if I still have problems I will get new carbs. Vintage Speed has the 94's and the 97,s. I like the new 97's but too expensive for me right now.
Thanks again.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back