Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Frame Length

kcline40

So last weekend we were working on the Bucket and realized our frame may not be long enough. It is currently 106 inches, From front to rear. It seems we may not have enough clearance between the fan on the motor and the radiator. We have decided to lengthen the frame. We are currently running a SBC 350 for a motor but would like to lengthen the frame enough to accomodate a BBC 454 in the future. Does anyone have an exact length for a frame/Chasis that will accomodate a BBC. I have searched the forums with no luck on finding an answer. This frame was puchased from a 3rd party and we have very little info on it. I think it is a 26-27 frame based on pictures in a CCR Catalog I have. You can see pics of the build here on the forums in another thread under Project Plans and Updates titled New Year New Project New Bucket. Sorry I'm under the 10 limit rule to post a link.

Thanks for the help.

Frame length should be determined by the placement of the firewall of the body in relationship to the back of the radiator allowing for overall engine length plus fan. Don't forget to allow for distributor clearance if you are planning on using a Chevy V8.
As has been stated many times on this forum, you should have a body and engine before starting a frame Then it is very wise to mock up the frame with 2x4's to get an exact measurement. Wood is a whole lot cheaper than the steel tubing that is used to build the frame so mistakes can be corrected before you build the final product. Building a T is not rocket science, it is common sense and a little math. IMHO

Jim

A SBC is 27" front to rear , a BBC is 30.5" if that helps. I can give you dimensions from CCR plans or the old TP plans .
dave

well, i hope i havent done messed my buid up? Im in process of building my frame from ccr plans. i think im gonna use a 10" stretch body. ccr plans said main rails are 90" on the long cut. i added 10"to that for a 100" main rail. i still need to purchas body. after reading this i better wait on the welding till i have body on hand? 283 chevy will be my engine.

Trying to upload a pic from my phone but it's too large. Plans say 113" for original style transverse rear leaf spring. If your planning to use coil over suspension increase the length of the rails 7" to 120". Good for Z OMG the frame.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back