Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

fuel cell venting and fuel sender

Mallard

Any special techniques to venting the fuel cell ?? I have a steel fuel cell with a gator-lock cap. one pick up tube and no vent. Any special science to adding a vent or fuel sender ?

Is that cap vented?

On the race cars, we would usually weld in a bung for an AN adapter, then use a piece of #3 tubing that had been coiled up 2-3 times before extending down along the side of the fuel tank. That way, if the car ended up on it's top, the vent would be pointing up and not trying to spill fuel.

We get a lot of dirt track racers at the shop and I usually recommend they coil up some #6 hose and clamp a Chrysler-style inline fuel filter at the end, to keep out the larger chunks.

I always dread this time of year, because the dirt track guys are already starting to bring me their carbs for rebuilds. :) You cannot believe how filthy some of those carbs can get. I preach at them, every year, to use carb cleaner in the air bleeds at least once each week, to run multiple fuel filters and to change air filters at least once each week. I've seen carbs come in with the floats resting on dried-up mud in the float bowls. 3/8" of dried mud. :eek: A guy once brought me one with dried mud caked in the accelerator pump cavity so thickly the pump lever couldn't move. And air bleeds that are absolutely packed with dirt. It's a wonder some of these cars will even get out on the track, let alone get around it.

Helpful hint of the day - Yes, K&N air filters are extremely high flow filters. Please stop to consider why they flow so much air. Use a quality paper filter and change it on a regular basis. Your engine will love you for it.

Didn't know that....thanks for the tip!

you can run a piece of hose to a point higher than your tank and just stick a PCV valve in the end it will work as both a vent and a fuel shut off in a rollover just another trick learned from the circle track boys !

The oil is there to grab the dirt. Without the oil, the filter is pretty much useless as a filtering device. Not that it's much better with the oil.

K&N is a stellar example of what advertising can do for sales. Anyone remember SplitFire spark plugs? That was another example.

I wonder whatever happened to all the old fuel line magnets that were designed to align all the fuel molecules for more power and better mileage? I've seen them all. ;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back