Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel Pressure Regulator Question...

Engine - Not to stir the pot too much, but remember the Holley pump mounts with the motor up. Opposite of the Carter. The Carter pump motor is actually cooled by fuel.

BTW - I've been running a Red Holley on my 46 for over 10 years. Went with the Carter on the bucket due to mounting concerns.

Mike

Yea Mike.....the V6's were a challenge back before everyone started making parts for them...........I handbuilt a tunnelram out of 1/4" alum. flatbar to replace one of those old -Brandywines-..........I first saw that.....and it ranked right on up there with the Mopar crossram that has the carbs out there by the edges of the hood!!!!! HeeHee......I saw someone had to be on a 1 week drunk to come up with that sorta stuff.

But, amazingly.......the old homemade alum tunnelram intake I built made a good enough impression I made another one for a Ford 460..........then I made them fairly regular there for a while for the big inchers........till I got into blowers......

Yea Engine........if ya can't get your pressure with the Carter......the Holleys should be a sure bet.............Did anyone ever find out if the Sun electric fuelpumps are still being made?????????:cool:

Well, I tried the Holley red pump and got a little over 5 lbs of pressure. I set up the pump on my bench top first and got the same pressure I did on the car. Not sure why I keep getting such a drop in pressure, but I think I may just go with a mechanical now. I am going to try one more thing ad if I cannot get good results I will go mechanical.

engine24355 said:
Well, I tried the Holley red pump and got a little over 5 lbs of pressure. I set up the pump on my bench top first and got the same pressure I did on the car. Not sure why I keep getting such a drop in pressure, but I think I may just go with a mechanical now. I am going to try one more thing ad if I cannot get good results I will go mechanical.

There's something funky going on. I have a Holley Red Pump with a 100 micron filter in front and another one just before the dual Edelbrock carbs. I get 6.5 PSI all day long with no regulator.

DSC00001.JPG

RPM said:
A stupid question that may have been covered. Is the tank vented?

Yes, the tank is vented with an arcraft style cap. I actually have been able to get the pressure up to 6 lbs now which seems to be where the Holley carb needs to be. Still tuning in the engine so I have not been able to get out and test the secondaries yet. Stay tuned...

You know you need to crack the fuel line where it goes into the carb wrap a wrag around it to get the air out. Turn the pump on when you get a burst of fuel have your wife shut off the pump. then just tighten the line and go.

rooster57 said:
You know you need to crack the fuel line where it goes into the carb wrap a wrag around it to get the air out. Turn the pump on when you get a burst of fuel have your wife shut off the pump. then just tighten the line and go.

You don't really need to do that. The air will go past an open needle and seat, then out the vent. When fuel get there it will fill the bowl, the float will rise and the needle will shut off the fuel flow. No need to bleed a carb. Now a diesel injection is whole nuther story.

I had to bleed the air off my eldebrock it just set there at about 2 psi untill i cracked the line and let the air out.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was able to get the pressure where I needed, but now I am dealing with another problem (figures). After tuning on the new Holley carb and trying everything it looks like I might just have a bad carb. Spoke with Holley and I will be sending the carb back to them later this week. They are going to test and see what is going on. Long story short, I cannot get to idle properly. I have had three guys working on this including the guy that built the new engine and they all agree that it looks like something wrong with the carb itself. So, the saga continues with another chapter / thread. Stay tuned for the Fuel Pressure Regulator Question sequel entitled "The Great Carburetor Caper"...soon to be on tbucketeers.com. Seriously, I hope to get the carb sent to Holley and hear something within a week. Thanks for all of your patience and help guys!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back