Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel pump clearance solution

roadmonster

If you run a small-block Chevy in your T, you know the fuel pump usually won't clear the frame rail. Lots of guys go with an electric fuel pump, but if you like the simplicity and old-school looks of a mechanical pump, there's an easy solution.

ACDelco 4149 is for '52-'57 Bel Air and trucks with 235 or 265 6-cylinders. But guess what, it works great with a 350 V8! It also looks good and has clearance to spare. I've run one for 9 years and just replaced it (with another 4149). You will have to ream out the mounting holes a little, but otherwise it's a direct replacement.

I assumed this must be a common trick, but I've been unable to find anyone else doing it. I hope this will help if you like mechanical pumps and are frustrated with clearance issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 74
I had a Carter fuel pump on and I got a Jegs Chrome pump and it hit the rail. I had a motor mount failure with the stock Chevy mount. The fan blade cut the bottom out of the filler neck. I put a second set of new Made in China mounts and they separated in about 200 miles.So I went to Polyurethane Mounts. When I installed the Poly Mounts I had to pick up a little on the engine. Now the Jeg's Pump clears OK.
I also got rid of the mechanical fan and installed a Spal 16 inch electric fan. I'll get a picture latter.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back