Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel tanks + sending units : Thoughts

This seemed to be the most appropriate area to post.

I am looking for a cylinder type aluminum/chrome/stainless tank to mount on the rear frame of the T. Searching for a tank online, I am very surprised to see many not coming with a sending unit for the fuel gauge or at least a port/spot one can bolt to. Why is this??

Am I going to have to make a "flight plan" and calculate for fuel every trip I make? Of course a visual inspection like on most riding lawnmowers seems to be the way to do this. I am not too concerned myself to do this as I wont be traveling far (more of just a town cruiser). In my case, do you think this is a problem not having a gauge outside of the tank?

My thoughts that with such a small tank, stopping at the gas station every ride is probably going to be expected anyways.

Maybe going to cap with a float gauge is a possibility, cutting in/ welding in a plate for the unit, or even a bare bones clear fuel line to catch the fuel "seeking at its own level" may be in the works.

Any thoughts on why this is? Ways around it? Experiences? Thank you!

Just found some relevant threads similar to this post. Moderators, sorry, but you can take this down if needed. However this may still be a good discussion on the "WHYs" and creative ideas for future designs. Or maybe some good stories on this Sunday on reasons why we need a gauge! :laugh:

My last Corvette was like that ('64 with a BB swapped in). It had that huge Vette filler door, and I would look down into the tank to see how much was left. Man, I could idle that car around the block twice and the level would fall a half inch.

I had a poly tank in my pro turbo vw they are very reasonable priced and have a spot for a sending unit ! ..........................They are only about $109.95

Moore Parts Source for VW's has them,

TKPS1030BK.jpg

Another option would be to install two fuel pickups in the tank. One near the bottom and the other a few inches higher. Plumb them to a two position fuel selector valve mounted where you can get to it while driving (floor, seat riser, etc.). Run on the higher pickup normally and you have a small reserve fuel supply on the lower pickup. I did this on a rail dune buggy I had many years ago. Worked great. Same thing most motorcycles had before they went EFI

Mike

I can just see me blasting down the interstate & have to find the valve to switch to reserve !!!:eek:
dave

I had a motorcycle and frequently forgot to switch back to the higher pick-up tube. Ran out of gas and found out I was already on reserve. Very bad planning! John

I plan to use an 11 gallon air tank and a sight glass (clear nylon tubing) on the side of it. No need for a sending unit or gauge. Simple. Similar to this.

In my fuel tank research I came across this site http://aluminumgastanks.net/default.html They offer a lot of options on their tanks, including sending unit mounts and on the tank gauges. Their prices seem reasonable to me. My plan is to go with one of the poly tanks like pictured above...unless/until I find one of the old oval/football shaped tanks for a good price .

Another option would be to install two fuel pickups in the tank. One near the bottom and the other a few inches higher. Plumb them to a two position fuel selector valve mounted where you can get to it while driving (floor, seat riser, etc.). Run on the higher pickup normally and you have a small reserve fuel supply on the lower pickup.

My 1961 VW came that way from the factory. No fuel gauge at all.

I really like the one I have in my T-bucket. All I have to do is make a left hand turn and the gauge tells me that the tank is full.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back