Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuse Box Cover

kcline40

I purchased the Painless Performance 8 Circuit Modular T-bucket Harness, P/N# 10308. A few years ago when I started on this journey to build my car. Now I am getting close to starting the wiring project that is a head of me. The only thing missing from this kit is a cover for the fuse box. I am not mounting my Fuse box under my seat or my dash. I would like to mount it in the the truck bed which I plan on covering. For added piece of mind I am wondering if anyone has found a cover that is universal and will fit most fuse boxes? Any help is appreciated.

Mounting in the bed is going to make for some long wire runs for most of your circuits ..
does painless offer a cover ??
dave

I am currently checking with Painless. No response yet :(. There is plenty of wire on that harness to make it up to the front is the good news, I was really surprised by how much wire is there.

That is a really simple solution, looks like something from across the pond. Will have to check US for it

Get yourself a thin piece of smoked lexan and make yourself 4 standoffs with some all-thread. They make nylon bushing material, cut it off so that you have 1/4 or so clearance above your fuses. Make yourself a cardboard or poster paper template, notching the corners out so you can fold the edges down. Transfer pattern to lexan, cut 2 pieces, 1st one will be for learning, 2nd one will be the one you mount.
Get yourself a heat gun, heat along the fold lines laid out on your plexiglass or lexan, gently bend the edges down....you'll be learning on the 1st piece, you you will screw up.
After you bend the last and final piece, dress the edges up nicely. One thing nice about a see-thru cover, if you run lighted fuses, you can see which one has blown without pulling your cover....

Just a idea.....on my car, my fuse box is mounted on a hinged plate under my dash. Its held in place by a 2"x 4" strip of velcro so it won't flap down. I have the smoked lexan over it. Instead of the 4 standoffs, I mounted a short piece of piano hinge to the bottom (when the fuse box is in the down position), BUT, when the cover is up protecting the fused, the top has a velcro piece that I put around the edge, with some small screws helping hold the velcro down. In hi heat situations, the glue on the velcro will soften....the screws with short plastic strips under the screw heads but on top of the velcro help it stay firmly in place....
So, my cover will pivot....but if you mount yours flat or horizonal in your trunk....you could do the same thing, and it would probably work better if you like that idea....just a thought.

I like the idea of the Lexan and was thinking of doing something like that. I also was debating making my own cover out of thin steel and cutting a see thru window and putting plexiglass in that so I could see the fuses. I also like the idea of lit up fuses as recommended earlier in the thread. Right now I have been focused on the body. I have been fiberglass everything I can. So I can move onto brake lines, gas lines and wiring. Baby steps, but you have to have a plan of attack so I am thinking ahead as much as possible to set the plan in motion. Thanks guys

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back