Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

gas tank

Youngn

well i have this old aluminum keg that i want to use as my gas tank. i have already welded on the top gas cap filler bung. I am trying to find out what to use as a pickup, should i use some sort of sealer in keg, and what other obsticales i will have to over come. thanks any opinions will help? is this a good idea???

well i have this old aluminum keg that i want to use as my gas tank. i have already welded on the top gas cap filler bung. I am trying to find out what to use as a pickup, should i use some sort of sealer in keg, and what other obsticales i will have to over come. thanks any opinions will help? is this a good idea???

I would just put a bung in the bottom and put a shut off vavle there and go with it. No need to over complicate things. You should not need a sealer in the tank.

I used a keg for my tank and all I did was drill a small hole (about a 1/4 inch ) then heated the area around the hole and used a drift pin to extrude the hole into the tank. I then tapped the hole with a standard pipe thread, put sealer on the threads and attched a pipe, shut off valve and nipple for a pice of flex fuel line to attach to the hard line on the frame. No sealer in the keg.It has been running for a couple of years this way and without any issues.

I wouldn't recommend a fuel line from the bottom. In a crash, you don't want fuel spilling out. Put the pickup in from the top. Of course, if you plan to turn it over in the crash, you will have the same problem.

A gas line from the top is ideal but the pickup tube in my speedway tank dissolved and left only the fabric part (and a big mess). What makes a good pickup tube?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back