Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gauge RECOMMENDATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

vand

Banned
Has anyone used Dolphin or Omega gauges? Read good things about Omega made in USA good warrenty. Dolphin not sure can't find much about them except their web site. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave

There are plenty of reviews out there on Dolphin gauges and most aren't good. I looked into them as well as they do look nice and the price is tempting. From what I read on their warranty it's handled on a case by case bases. I went with Marshal gauges after extensive searches and research.

Autometer way too expensive for my budget. They also offer Autogage their offshore brand. Don't know the quality but won't buy non USA made

I had a set of TPI... Junk, customer support, useless, Warranty? Nope. Bought Autometer, put them in they all work. and are still working.
The Autometer cost less then the TPI's Because there in the car, not sitting in a box

Autometer way too expensive for my budget.
How many sets of the bargain-basement gauges can you afford, before you have invested more than the AutoMeter would have cost you?

When I worked the speed shop, I had a sign that hung behind the counter. It read, "We have no quarrel with those who sell their products for less, because they know exactly what their stuff is worth."

We auld gits have all been around long enough to know the sour taste of a low quality product will always outlast the sweet taste of a low price.

How many sets of the bargain-basement gauges can you afford, before you have invested more than the AutoMeter would have cost you?

When I worked the speed shop, I had a sign that hung behind the counter. It read, "We have no quarrel with those who sell their products for less, because they know exactly what their stuff is worth."

We auld gits have all been around long enough to know the sour taste of a low quality product will always outlast the sweet taste of a low price.

How very true!

Jim

This kind of attitude will not be tolerated.
I did some more checking Omaga gauges are US made with a 3 year full warranty and lifetime $30.00 replacement and half the price of autometer or stewart warner. I'll go for the warranty and quality. You folks with your heads in the sand and can't see past a name can stick with them. Thanks since no one answered my original question. I wanted feed back on 2 specific products not unsolicited endorsments.

I did some more checking Omaga gauges are US made with a 3 year full warranty and lifetime $30.00 replacement and half the price of autometer or stewart warner. I'll go for the warranty and quality. You folks with your heads in the sand and can't see past a name can stick with them. Thanks since no one answered my original question. I wanted feed back on 2 specific products not unsolicited endorsments.

Us folks with our heads stuck in the sand followed your choice of words. The word RECOMMENDATION might have something to do with the answers you received. Dolphin gauges are a gamble, feel lucky buy them. Omega gauges get up there in price with Auto Meter. If I were to spend that much on entrance level gauges I'd spend the money where the other suggested and go with Auto Meter.

Excuuuuuse me. Want an answer to your initial question? I only worked in the high performance automotive aftermarket for over 30 years, so my opinion doubtless won't mean a flyin' flip to you. But the gauges you mentioned have some of the worst records in the industry. So your answer is that those two lines are pure shite and I would avoid both of them like a $3 watch. They might offer you some fancy warranty, but I can promise you that you are going to come up well shy in the quality department.

And yes, I did impose a warning for your pissy attitude, so lose it. Quickly. Or be gone and away with you.

Back to the OP's original question: I do have Dolphin Gauges in my '27. I bought them purely on looks as I wanted a specific size, style and color. They perform ok, and seem to be accurate. I had trouble getting the electric speedo to work properly, but it was installer error.

Excuuuuuse me. Want an answer to your initial question? I only worked in the high performance automotive aftermarket for over 30 years, so my opinion doubtless won't mean a flyin' flip to you. But the gauges you mentioned have some of the worst records in the industry. So your answer is that those two lines are pure shite and I would avoid both of them like a $3 watch. They might offer you some fancy warranty, but I can promise you that you are going to come up well shy in the quality department.

And yes, I did impose a warning for your pissy attitude, so lose it. Quickly. Or be gone and away with you.
Triple like!

A public argument with staff will get you nowhere
Thanks Ben that is the type of feedback I was looking for. Personally I could care less about opinions. I don't care how long you worked wherever or built cars, If you didn't actually sell or use the products in question I was looking for personal experience. We all know about opinions. As for my attitude it is what it is.

I contacted dolphin today to ask about their warrenty. Answer 90 days on unused product. I e mailed them back (if I purchase a defective guage And discover it by installing I am SOL) Havn't heard back. To me that boils down to no warranty at all. That is the kind of info I needed to make an informed decision.

I contacted dolphin today to ask about their warrenty. Answer 90 days on unused product. I e mailed them back (if I purchase a defective guage And discover it by installing I am SOL) Havn't heard back. To me that boils down to no warranty at all. That is the kind of info I needed to make an informed decision.
Well, if its too good to be true, chances are it is. Gauges, if you buy a good set, will last you the life of your car. I did not say 'A Expensive Set'....I said a good set.
Theres no reason why you can't get a Autometer set by saving a little. I'll let you in on a little secret. Most gauges, when it comes to the temp and the volts, most bargain setups do quite nicely. Search and find some the right size and the color you like.
THEN, go out and order the Oil Pressure and the Tach you want. Done deal. A middle-of-the-road set, temp/volts/and oil press. are plenty good. Then you can get a nice big tach with the shift light....
As Mike said, those are crap, and people should not support crap manufactures out there. If you haven't seen a brand out there, go on line and search. There are a few manufactures that carry the cheap gauges out there....Autometer and Autogage both have economy sets that won't break your bank. If Autometer is too expensive, theres always Summit and that other speed shop, and they have some nice house brands....

As for my attitude it is what it is.
As for your forum status, it is what it is, as well. Go figure. You ask for people to share their opinions with you, then you turn round and say you don't want to hear anyone's opinions? Yeah, that makes loads of sense to me.

The ban on your account will last 7 days. Come back after that time with the same attitude, and you'll be banned permanently. I recommend you spend a bit of this next week reading the Forum Rules, or trying to find someone else to piss off, because we're not going to endure any more of your attitude here. Your move, pal, so make the best of it. Being the bad apple around here simply means you will be tossed out, before you can spoil any others, and believe me when I say I have no problem tossing trouble-makers out of here. I should have thought you might have picked up on that, since you've been a member for over 2 years.

People, I am sick and tired of a few people acting like they are above reproach around here. From this point forward, anyone who wants to act an ass is going to be treated as such.

For the record, vand received 1 warning point for his inappropriate behavior in Post #9. He received 2 warning points for his flippant response in Post #15 about his attitude. We take a dim view of anyone arguing with staff around here, so let those with ears hear. Any user with a total of 3 warning points accumulated within 90 days is banned for 7 days. Anyone who manages to accumulate 4 warning points in 90 days is banned permanently.

vand can cool his heels for a while and consider his next move. If he wants to fit in with this community, so be it. He can check his attitude at the door and move forward from there. If he wants to argue with people he has asked to help him, then he can go elsewhere, because he will no longer be a welcome member of this community. Nothing more to be seen or said here.

fail.jpg

Update -

It seems vand won't be re-joining this community. Apparently I am an asshole. No, wait. He said I am an ASSHOLE, so I figure those capital letters must stand for something impressive, and I want to convey the full thrust of his sentiments.

How downright ignorant must he be? He was a member here for over 32 months and he just managed to sort I am an ASSHOLE? I figured people would be able to sort that within the first few hours of being here.

Yes, vand, I am the asshole that takes the trash to the curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back